GWL - first bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Made my first bowl with the Good Will Lathe.​

Everything was working out great till the end. I didn't know how to mount it to remove the base that was being grabbed by the chuck. While playing around I saw that the jaws would expand inside the bowl to grab it and I tightened it a tad too much and heard a crack. :cry_smile For the next piece, anyone know how to mount it in order to remove the bottom scrap?​

Might try a curved bowl soon, but straight sides is easiest for now, I don't have to guess curves, hehe.​

forsale_001.jpg

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Good job!! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up I'm about to try turning a small bowl (my first). I hope mine turns out this good.

Joe Bradshaw

New User
Joe
You should try a jam chuck to hold the bowl. Mount a piece of 3/4" plywood or mdf to your faceplate and cut a groove in it that you can push your bowl into. It should be a snug fit. You can re-enforce the hold with strapping tape. Take light cuts and you should be fine. FWIW curved side bowls are easier.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
thnx. I Googled jam chuck. Seems kinda complicated, having to turn another round piece the same size as my bowl interior.

I'll give your method a try with mdf but I think the faceplate might be too big for the interior of this bowl and my blanks are all the same size.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I use the jumbo jaws quite a bit,or you can make a jam chuck,there really not that hard to make and if you turn a lot of bowls in the future,you'll be glad you have em.Also I run the tail stock up against the bottom,but I have small wooden washers that I use between the tail stock and the piece to keep from making that little hole in the bottom,that way I can clean the bottom up to about a 1/2' then slice the nib off with a sharp chisel,then sand it off my power sander with about a 2" sanding disc.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I did a little googling and found something called flat jaws or cole jaws depending on the chuck brand and run about 40-50 bucks. Anyone use one of those? I am still concerned about crushing the bowl when tightening it. They seem to have rubber gripping feet so it might have enough padding to grip without having to be too tight

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I use the jumbo jaws quite a bit,or you can make a jam chuck,there really not that hard to make and if you turn a lot of bowls in the future,you'll be glad you have em.Also I run the tail stock up against the bottom,but I have small wooden washers that I use between the tail stock and the piece to keep from making that little hole in the bottom,that way I can clean the bottom up to about a 1/2' then slice the nib off with a sharp chisel,then sand it off my power sander with about a 2" sanding disc.

+1 to what he said. I also use the flat golf or cold jaws a lot when I'm turning. If you use the flat jaws it is the same principle as using a jam chuck. Very nice work on the bowl. It's kind of sad when you hear that crack but it happens to all of us. Hope you enjoy your time here on the dark side.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
A friction chuck works and is very simple. I use one for all my bowls and never have any problems. To make one turn a piece of junk wood between centers with a tenon on one end that will fit your chuck. It needs to be long enough so that it can go to the inside bottom of your bowl. It doesn't have to be a tight fit for an open bowl. I try to match the end that fits against the bottom of the bowl to have the same shape as the inside bottom of the bowl. I then use a piece of old mouse pad that has had the nylon removed to pad between the bottom of the bowl and the end of the piece of wood you have turned. You than bring the tail stock up to push against the bottom of the bowl which holds the bowl against the mouse pad and the piece of wood you turned. You than turn the tenon off until you think it might break if you go any more. I than use a small saw and remove the nub that is left and carve the rest off with a sharp knife. If you make the piece of wood long enough you can return it to fit the inside of many bowls since fitting against the side of the bowl is not important unless you are using this system for a hollow form. I then use masking tape to build up the shaft of the wood to fit the opening of the HF so to help keep it from wobbling.
Good Luck,
Jack

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Great job on the bowl Steve. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's a great tip Jack. I really like the idea of using a piece of mouse pad for that. :widea:

dlrion

New User
Dan
Beautiful... They say that smell is the sense you can recollect the easiest. I look at that bowl and remember a really good smell. Now I want to turn a bowl just for that.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS