Gunstock Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Who has the expertise on gun stock finishes? My grandson wants to refinish the stock and forarm for a shotgun made in 1946. What do you think was the original finish? My guess would be lacquer but I reall do not know. Any help/advise is appreciated.

Jerry

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Prepping the surface is vital to get a good finish because oil finishes magnify boo-boos. He'll need to strip the old finish, steam out the dings and dents and sand through the grits.

My Truoil schedule:
Apply 1 part Truoil to 1 part MS w/0000 Steel Wool or 400g wet-dry sandpaper until the grain is filled with a slurry and let it dry for 24hrs. Then 6-8 coats of Truoil applied with a paper coffee filter after rubbing down with 0000 steel wool or grey nonwoven abrasive pad. I like coffee filters to apply oil finishes because they're cheap, my hand heats it and they're lint free. You can speed up the cure time by exposing each side of the gunstock to the sun for 2-3 hours between coats. I get at least 2 coats/day this way. If you leave it in the shop and it's not cured hard in 24hrs you probably used too much or it's too cold or the oil has gone bad.

Oh...Don't buy the big bottle of Truoil. The small bottle will have more than enough for a few gunstocks. It doesn't last very long in storage after it's opened.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Go to WOODCRAFT and get a little jar of LIN-SPEED. It is made especially for gunstocks. It is a combination of Linseed oil and a couple of other ingredients. It is rubbed on with the fingers in a thin layer and repeat the process 3 or 4 days later. I finished a 1903-A3 Springfield 30.06 back in the 1970s with this stuff, and hand-rubbed in about 15 coats. By taking the time of man-bonding-to-gunstock via hand-rubbing in the finish, it makes the person appreciate the gun and respect it even more. I know...it sounds kinda crazy, but it did for me. By spending that amount of time hand-rubbing in the finish, he will also treat the gun stock carefully for the rest of his life. That stock is impervious to all elements when he gets done, and it looks fantastic. It becomes part of the wood, not just a layer sitting on top, waiting to get damaged. It can also be used again in future years, by just rubbing in more over the top of the old. (but...I have never had to do it....it is a claim made by the maker). A little jar is $10 and he won't use a 1/3rd of the jar. Dip in two fingers, rub it on, dip again, repeat. let dry 3 or 4 days...repeat again. I did this to my gunstock when I was 16. I turn 60 this year. still looks as good as the month it took me to apply it. I recently saw it for sale in WOODCRAFT and bought a jar to use on my lathe projects! There is no shortcuts with this, but it just takes time and it is easy to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS