Gun cabinet wood

I’m still working the design for my gun cabinet. I want to use solid wood. I’m considering the following, maple, white oak, ash, red oak, and birch I tend to like lighter woods and tighter grain that will not darken a lot over time. I’m planning on using Odies oil as I’ve done other creations and am able to get the touch me look I like. I’m figuring the birch or maple might be my best bet but ash is significantly less expensive as is red oak both these are 40% less than the other. I also plan on using Blum soft close hinges and hope two will be enough or should I use three. The door solid wood will be about50” x 16” x 3/4”.last question what would be a nice strong black lock to use.

Thanks for any help
Maine Guide

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can check on the Blum site for a recommendation, but I believe you would want 3-4 hinges for that size of door. Two doesn't sound sufficient to me. Any of the woods you suggest will make a nice cabinet. The oak and ash will be much more open grain than the others. Maple and birch are both light and tight-grained in comparison.

If you don't mind the open grain, ash is a beautiful wood. This is a shoe bench I made a few years ago from ash. The finish is two coats of Danish oil with three coats of wipe on poly.

IMG_1702.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The tannic acid in the oaks is rough on metal, particularly ammunition projectiles. Seal the inside well with a durable film finish and you're not likely to have problems. The other woods you mention are all good. Find a pleasing design and go for it. I had an ash gun cabinet in the 1970s and liked it quite well.
Sometimes there's a conflict with design and wood. Pretty wood - simple design shows off the wood. Great design - plain wood shows off the lines of the design best. A pretty design with highly figured wood gets muddy.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Something you might consider . Test baking soda on a piece of the wood you want to use. It stabilizes the tannic acid in the wood, but it will also cause the wood to change color. Might be something you might like. This is an old school way to stain certain woods.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’m still working the design for my gun cabinet. I want to use solid wood. I’m considering the following, maple, white oak, ash, red oak, and birch I tend to like lighter woods and tighter grain that will not darken a lot over time. I’m planning on using Odies oil as I’ve done other creations and am able to get the touch me look I like. I’m figuring the birch or maple might be my best bet but ash is significantly less expensive as is red oak both these are 40% less than the other. I also plan on using Blum soft close hinges and hope two will be enough or should I use three. The door solid wood will be about50” x 16” x 3/4”.last question what would be a nice strong black lock to use.

Thanks for any help
Maine Guide
As far the hinges go three is the minimum and four would be better in this application. A 42” cabinet door uses three hinges and even then the doors warp on occasion. Locks are an area that your going to have to shop around for. When it comes to the wood, pick what you really want. I have never let the cost of the wood get in the way of what is wanted. I hope you continue to share your adventure here with us, thanks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS