Guitar Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Last year I tried my first guitar build and botched it up pretty good. Pretty depressing but I am at it again. I'm almost done this time around. I learned alot during that build and even more during this build so hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm. :) I've already know what I want to do just a matter of clearing out the project list. :)

I've learned a lot about template making. I think this next build I'm going to have as much fun making all the templates and jigs as I will with making the guitar.

Anyway I figured I would post a few pics of where I started and am at now... I should hopefully be done with constructions in the next few days and then on to paint....

I used a premade neck on this one as thats where I really messed up on the last build. I've started a neck for practice but want to make sure I can focus on just the neck and learning to build it. Should be fun...

2011-01-01_23_46_50_1280x960.jpg

View image in gallery

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow,

Looking very, very nice. Looks like a classic Les Paul rhythm guitar ( am I close?)

Keep posting more pics as you go!

Thanks,

M

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
Looks good. From the pictures, I am guessing that you routed the body with a template - did you make or buy the template?

One day I hope to do a similar electric - probably a ways out in the future.

Greg

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Got the Bridge mounted.. I'm off just a little with the string spacing but not enough that I'm going to worry to much about it. This is a learning experience. I never expected this to be a super playable guitar. The action is high as all get out but I think I can get that adjusted. :)

Matt yes it is similar to a Les Paul. Its a little bigger and the lower horn is much sharper than what is on a Les Paul but the over all shape is very reminiscent of the Les Paul.

Greg yes I did use a template for the body. I made the template off a set of plans that I got from http://www.eguitarplans.com . On my next build I am going to spend MUCH more time on the templates than I did with this one. I want to have a working set of templates for all the different parts. I did some free hand routing on this one and then neck pocket didn't come out as perfect as I would like because I used some 1/4" Hardboard instead of building up a 3/4" MDF template. :) You live you learn. The next guitar is a going to be a tele. I'm watching a bunch of builds on a telecaster forum and I'm really digging that guitar and I played one at Guitar Center and really liked it alot.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Nice inlay work on the fret board,

What media did you use? Also, Birds ? they look very cool.

Very Custom and very nice again!

M

I wish I could take credit for the inlays.. They came on the neck that way. Although it doesn't look like it would be very difficult to do them.

On my next guitar I will probably use a similar bird inlay. I just need to find several patterns that I like or maybe I'll take some pics of actual birds in flight and use that and create a mask for the inlay. For inlays like this once the actual pieces are created most guys will trace it out on the fret board then use a dremel to cut out just to their line then fine tune with sand. The thing to do if you are doing your own fretboard is to save some of the sanding dust so you can mix it with some glue to fill any little voids around the inlay.

I now have to work on the action a little well actually a lot route the back control panel for the cover plate then sand sand sand then add some sand & sealer. The body is going to get painted and atleast on this one I don't want any of the grain to show through.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Re: Guitar Build - Updated pics

So before I painted the body I decided to give a two-tone burst a try and see what I thought. I still haven't totally decided. I've started spraying clear on the body to at least see what I think once that's done.

let me know what you think... I've never done a burst much less use the tint like this.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Kevin,

Thanks for posting more pics! Hard to comment on color scheme, when only seeing one color (blue) without the nec, fret board, etc......

But, so far looks very cool!

Keep posting the WIP pics!

Can't wait to see it completed.

M

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Kevin - how long did it take for you to build the body and mount the neck? I've got some friends to who want to come down to my shop for a guitar build. None of us have ever done it before and they're not WWers. I'm trying to explain how this is harder than it looks...

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking good Kevin! I've never done a burst. You have to hold your mouth just right to get it right.

I saw this on the AUS/NZ forum and had a laugh. The guy couldn't figure out why his customer wasn't happy:rotflm:

file.php

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Kevin,

Thanks for posting more pics! Hard to comment on color scheme, when only seeing one color (blue) without the nec, fret board, etc......

But, so far looks very cool!

Keep posting the WIP pics!

Can't wait to see it completed.

M

It may be hard to tell from the pics but there is a line of black all around the edge of the guitar. I've got the clear on it need a bunch more layers. Like a goof ball I didn't put the sealer on it to fill the pores. Oh well live and learn.

Kevin - how long did it take for you to build the body and mount the neck? I've got some friends to who want to come down to my shop for a guitar build. None of us have ever done it before and they're not WWers. I'm trying to explain how this is harder than it looks...

I guess I have been working on this since probably around christmas time. I've been taking my time with it. I spent a bunch of time tweaking on the lower horn to get the carve the way I wanted it. Lots of looking and hoping I didn't screw it up. Which I did but no biggie. Most of it was getting up the courage to make the cuts. :) It's definiately not a weekend project if you haven't done it. My next one will probably go a little faster but at the same time I am going to be building some jigs and also taking MUCH more time on my templates. If the templates aren't good then the end product will not be as good. I let myself just play with this one and make mistakes and learn so I could fix them. Mounting the neck isn't real hard. Again getting a good template for routing the pocket is KEY. Mine slipped a little so I am a little wide in one spot. It still probably took me a good hour of checking and rechecking when I routed the pocket and I still have some work to do on it. I've got to put a shallow angle in it so I can get the action the way I want. I cut it flat and it's causing the action at the bottom of the neck to be sky high. I may end up having to shim it as well. Again live and learn. :)

If your friends want to build one and aren't woodworkers and you aren't comfortable in trying it there are a bunch of places where you can buy pre-routed bodies and necks and more or less finish and assemble them. It's not a cheap hobby to get be in either. Not only do you need some woodworking tools but there are luthier specific tools you will need to you want to do the neck yourself mainly for the nut and the fretboard.

http://www.warmouth.com makes some killer bodies but there are some places that are much cheaper and produce good quality bodies.

I guess the one thing about building a guitar is there is a lot of precision. You've get to have the scale length set correctly you need to make sure your bridge is spaced and placed properly. There are lots of things that go into making it a well playing guitar none of which I expect out of this guitar.

Looking good Kevin! I've never done a burst. You have to hold your mouth just right to get it right.

I saw this on the AUS/NZ forum and had a laugh. The guy couldn't figure out why his customer wasn't happy:rotflm:

file.php

I had never done a burst either. There is always that first. I didn't spray this one I used an old t-shirt. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. There are a few spots that could be better but hey this is a custom piece. :gar-La; So it's added value.

it really wasn't as difficult as I thought. I laid down a coat of blue across the whole guitar then came back in with the black and outlined it all. Then to blend it I came back over it with the blue and got rid of the hard lines. Worked pretty well...

Once the clear is done front and back and I have it sanded and assembled I'll post some more pics of the final product. Hopefully in the next week or so. Gotta let all that clear harden so I can sand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS