Guitar Build started almost a decade ago.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Well, it's been a while since I've posted here. Life took over and I haven't been doing much woodworking up until this year. I've always wanted to build guitars and started a year or 10 ago. I psyched myself out and decided I couldn't finish it successfully. 2020 hit with all its glory and I decided it was the perfect year to try and finish this, so over the last several weeks I've been doing little bits at a time to try and finish this up. I'm hoping to finish this up in the next couple of weeks. My biggest decision is how to finish it and what to finish it with.
tuPcl6k.jpeg

fnN2YH7.jpeg

ZauP4gU.jpeg

NqAI2H7.jpeg

RR3A1Gf.jpeg

2TFPp8L.jpeg

BXILoAw.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing, I’m glad you finally got it done! It looks great!

awldune

Sam
User
Pretty! You don't see a lot of spalted wood in guitars! Probably not great for tone, but with a laminated body it should be fine.

Are you going to sand off the "Squier" on the neck?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful! Congratulations on not giving up and for completing the project; I am sure you will enjoy this for many years to come.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Pretty! You don't see a lot of spalted wood in guitars! Probably not great for tone, but with a laminated body it should be fine.

Are you going to sand off the "Squier" on the neck?
Most likely I want to get a more vintage color on the neck.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Exciting building your first guitar :thumbs_up My first was a frettless 4 string,l bass, I did neck also.
Nice I will eventually build a bass as well. I hope to do my own neck next go round. Just gotta get the fret board templates and miter box from stew Mac.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice I will eventually build a bass as well. I hope to do my own neck next go round. Just gotta get the fret board templates and miter box from stew Mac.

I made my own shooting board, using SM template and TS blade. I see lots of new TS&Router jigs in your near future :)

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I made my own shooting board, using SM template and TS blade. I see lots of new TS&Router jigs in your near future :)
Oh yeah I need to get a planer and jointer again sold mine about 4 years ago, regret doing that but I’ll pick up some sooner or later. As I go along I’m trying to 3D print as many templates and jigs as I can but for higher accuracy stuff like fretboards I’ll just but those tools.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Oh yeah I need to get a planer and jointer again sold mine about 4 years ago, regret doing that but I’ll pick up some sooner or later. As I go along I’m trying to 3D print as many templates and jigs as I can but for higher accuracy stuff like fretboards I’ll just but those tools.
The only accuracy you really need on a fretboard is the nut placement in relation to the bridge saddles. This measurement is determined by the scale length. I always measured mine with the saddles run all the way up (twords the nut) because in order to intonate each string your going to back each saddle off anyways. The fret tang slots distances again determined by the scale length. Unless your going to fan frets then that's a completely different beast.

Overhang your fretboard an 1/8" from the first to last strings in relationship to your string spread. 1/8" seems to be pretty normal. I always bound and blocked my fretboards with fat 1/16" binding and hammered my frets over top of the binding. You can nip a little of the tang off the fret ends so it doesn't smash the binding if that consens you.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Finally had a chance to get back to the guitar. Drilled and routed out the Electronics cavity, next step is to take it down to final depth and route the lip for the cover.
Planning on making it from the figured walnut in the picture below. I also 3D printed some pickup covers in a cream color. Also made a custom guitar strap. Learned a lot making that and found a few more tools that I need eventually. :)

9F11D2BE-F6D3-4C6C-A514-A9A40F95763E_1_105_c.jpeg
E06C2482-A5E7-40BB-9363-763A89D1221C_1_105_c.jpeg
10C38054-EB85-4726-8E75-55A27675546F_1_105_c.jpeg
F2A4D7F5-3421-430E-BF3E-5DFB9284C445_1_105_c.jpeg
3AAA2186-6E60-4BDC-A126-944C7976D05A_1_105_c.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS