Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I've started to get questions about whether there would be a group buy on beeswax this year. The feedback I've gotten from many who got in on past group buys indicated that they really didn't use much of the wax or that it was difficult to work with the large blocks of wax. Instead of just chugging along doing the same thing each year with diminishing interest, I'd like to get some feedback about what all of you would rather I do.

Options:

Same as past years - Keep on keeping on. Group buy on ~2 lbs blocks of wax. Last Year's Group Buy Thread. There might need to be a group minimum to get the free shipping (assuming they offer free shipping this year).

Finished Goods - Instead of doing the ~2 lbs blocks, I could just do a sales drive of 1oz blocks and jars of oil/wax with a percentage going to NCWW as a donation.

Stop with the wax already - You already have more wax than you will ever use and don't need/want anymore.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I didn't vote, but i would buy a pound of wax either from this group buy or from someone who bought before and didn't use it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Didn't vote either but I don't need any anytime soon. Hate to say stop forever. It just lasts a lot longer than I expected. I've used it from time to time but in small amounts. Glad I have it around when I do need it.

Dissolving it in Mineral Spirits makes a very nice wipe on (with fingers or a toothbrush) finish for small carvings and turnings. It gets quite soft - almost liquid when adding shavings of it to MS. Then dries waxy (surprise, surprise) once applied and can then be buffed if wanted. Very nice to the touch.

BTW, I sent some of my surplus to Mike.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
+1 to what Ken said. I don't need any this time around, but hate to say I will never need more. A little does go a long way.

I had not bought any on previous buys but was thinking about it waiting for it to come around again or at least find out where you were getting it so I could order some at some point

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would like get some if it happens again but I do not need 2 pounds. Would be happy was a 1/2 pound.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
See my post #4 second paragraph for some sample uses. It makes a great finish for small projects and you can also use it to make candles if you're so inclined.

It is a traditional finish for Carvings and such that won't be painted or stained.

DWSmith

New User
David
I used 40+ pounds this year and will buy another 25+ pounds when they offer the free shipping deal again, if they do. The quality is very good and requires only a little extra straining to make it clean.

BTW The main use for mineral spirits is as a thinner for wax. The original Thompsosn Water Seal was parrafin in mineral spirits which is why it the decks it was used on turned white after a rain.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I was planning on ordering some wax so I will join the group buy if there is one or will happily buy some from any fellow NCW's. I don't really need 2 lbs though.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Do people ever use this for making drawers slide well? Or just finishing? (Sorry I'm trying to build a nice jewelry chest with a few drawers and I'd like them to slide smoothly...)

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I dissolve it in naptha and coat my workbench and cauls with it just before a glue up. It's the best flat surface I have and gluing panels directly on top of it makes life a lot easier. When I am ready to release it I whack one corner of it with a wood mallet and the whole thing pops right off.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I dissolve it in naptha and coat my workbench and cauls with it just before a glue up. It's the best flat surface I have and gluing panels directly on top of it makes life a lot easier. When I am ready to release it I whack one corner of it with a wood mallet and the whole thing pops right off.

Hadn't thought of that. Does that also help with removing glue that drips onto the bench top? I hate having to cover the bench with contractors paper before gluing anything.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I use a scrap piece of wood and knock the big drops off but where the squeeze out is between the boards and the table top its usually a really fine film and comes up easily with a crank neck chisel. I don't really try and get it all off so the next time I glue it up, I just wipe the waxy concoction over everything again. Every now and then I resurface the top. It's that left over bamboo flooring you gave me layered over a torsion box :) but about to replaced by a solid surface yellow pine top

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The big block I got from you last year made really nice finish for my cutting boards! But that block should last me quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS