Grotesque carving WIP - Done 11-26

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Outstanding job Pete! Great job on the faux finish as well, looks like the real deal right off the cathedral. What can we look forward to next?

Stave

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the kind remarks.

I spent a day with Stave a few months ago and it really got me headed in the right direction.
I'd strongly recommend anyone interested in improving to take one (or more) of his classes.

pete

MT native

New User
Jane
Pete, Great work!
I noticed your vise. What brand is it and did you like it for carving purposes?

I smile when I think back to a fellow I met this last summer in a Tulsa OK woodshop who says he carves gargoyles and they sell like crazy through a local headshop. I don't know if it's true but sounds like a potential place to sell your carvings. Especially ones that turn out as good as this one.
Jane

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Pete, Great work!
I noticed your vise. What brand is it and did you like it for carving purposes?

It's a Harbor Freight special - Cost about $25.
It holds the work well. The vice rotates and tilts but if you want to rotate the work you have to loosen the piece, turn it and retighten. I'd prefer "true" carvers vice but for the money the HF does a pretty good job.

Do you have any idea what your friends gargoyles sell for?

pete

bwat

New User
Bill
Awesome work, I love it. It appears he could be resting on a podium so I suggest you name it "Write-in candidate" in honor of the pending elections.:gar-La;

MT native

New User
Jane
Hi Pete,
I wish I could help you but I met the man only once while I was buying supplies during a trip. I don't have any idea what his name is. I was in the Woodcraft Store in Tulsa, OK so you might be able to call there and ask after him.

I would suggest you go check out some tobacco shops in your area and see if they have any carvings of this type and see what they sell for. You might also, if you find a shop you like their merchandise, take a gargoyle in and see how much they will pay for it. Keep in mind that retailers will sell it with up to 50% markup so if you want, say $60 from them, they will turn around and sell it for $90. If they can't sell it for that, they won't buy it from you.

Also, check out ETSY.com for more information. It's a great place to start finding information for people selling their handmade art. And check out Woodcarving Illustrated forum. They have numerous threads on pricing.
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors