Grizzly Woodworking Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
I am in the market for another jointer. Does anyone have experience with Grizzly tools? Overall quality of their equipment? Customer service? Handling warranty and/or problems after the sale?

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I have several Grizzly tools (bandsaw and cabinet saw). I am very pleased with both. I have found them to be very good and reliable machines. Some will say that Grizzly is a lesser brand. Well true, it does not compare to Powermatic or SawStop stuff, but then it is also half the price, so that should be expected. But don't let the "lesser" imply inferior or junk. It's like comparing a Mercedes to Toyota. One is fancier than the other, but both are solid performers.
Many of these tools come out of the same factories just with different paint schemes and brand names on them.
If you have not figured it out yet, Shop Fox and Grizzly are related...SHopFox being the retail side and Grizzly the mail order. Steelex is also in that same family, and supposedly the more budget oriented side of the business.

I'm looking for an 8 inch jointer. I'm considering a few used options, but if I go new, it will be Grizzly for sure. FYI, Most of their 8" jointers are out of stock until May 17th per the sales lady I talked to yesterday. And supposedly their spring sale starts April 10th.

Happy tool hunting

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you have not figured it out yet, Shop Fox and Grizzly are related...SHopFox being the retail side and Grizzly the mail order. Steelex is also in that same family, and supposedly the more budget oriented side of the business.

I'm looking for an 8 inch jointer. I'm considering a few used options, but if I go new, it will be Grizzly for sure. FYI, Most of their 8" jointers are out of stock until May 17th per the sales lady I talked to yesterday. And supposedly their spring sale starts April 10th.

Happy tool hunting

Leneave Machinery & Supply has the ShopFox W1741 SHOP FOX® 8 inch Jointer With Parr Adj Beds in stock for $1,170 in Charlotte.

http://www.leneavesupply.com

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Many of these tools come out of the same factories just with different paint schemes and brand names on them.

I believe Geetech is the company/factory that you are thinking of. I have several Grizzly machines and I think they offer a better value than most brands out there if you are buying new.

http://www.geetech.com.tw/index.php/en/strategic-partenrship-e

geetech.png

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
As I have posted earlier in other threads, Grizzly and Shop Fox are the same manufacturer. The Grizzly line is sold exclusively online (http://www.grizzly.com) or at the (now two) Grizzly stores in Missouri and Washington State. Shop Fox is a line of comparable tools that are sold through retail outlets, often using the name Woodstock. Their URL is https://www.woodstockint.com/.

I have several Grizzly tools (10" cabinet saw, 14" bandsaw, 8" jointer, stationary disc/belt sander, spindle sander) and like every one of them. They are 10+ years old and have stood up very well.

HTH. Rob

RainMaker

New User
Tony
Thank you all for your posts. Most of the equipment in my shop is either Jet or Powermatic; and for the most part have been pretty well satisfied with customer support. I'm leaning towards Grizzly because of cost.... $2500 vs $6000; my main concern being that it is from what I understand an import; and what I can expect from Grizzly if something isn't right or availability of parts down the road?

LB75

George
I'm a big fan of Grizzly. My cabinet saw has been a solid performer since I bought it 3 years ago and I just added a Grizzly 8" jointer thanks to the classifieds here. Next up on my list is one of their bandsaws.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've owned several Grizzly machines, and they perform well and have all given dependable service.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have several Grizzly machines and tools. I've been very satisfied with all of them. IME the machines made in Taiwan have had better 'fit and finish' than the made in China tools.

Grizzly's customer service is very good and availability of parts is also top notch.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I agree, Grizzly delivers really good bang for the buck and quality is generally acceptable. Where I think they really shine is for those tools where tolerances are not critical like my Grizzly edge sander.

pridmore

New User
Andy
I own the G0495X.

SnipImage.JPG

I really like it. The helical head is pretty awesome. The only gripes that I have with it are:

- The fence doesn't hold dead square over time (weeks, not months) - it's not a huge problem as long as I remember to check it at the beginning of the day
- The infeed/outfeed height adjustment wheels have a ton of "slop" (mechanical backlash) - for example, I have to spin the handle/wheel about a half-turn before the mechanism catches and the infeed/outfeed tables move. This really isn't a big deal either because I don't tend to change the infeed height at all. It does make recalibration a pain.

I'm sure that the wheel slop issue is something that support could help me with. I just haven't bothered to call.

Overall, for $2300 delivered, it's is probably the best machine value in my hobby shop.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have a Grizzly Joiner, Bandsaw and slow speed wet grinder. I love them. I will be upgrade to a larger joiner and floor model drill press, all Grizzly. I rarely buy other large tools. Never had to replace anything so no idea on customer service or parts. I will say this, everything I have from them runs well but it is not the quality of accuracy with high end tools. But for what you pay, it's a good deal.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I have a Grizzly table saw and Grizzly dust collector. I also have a ShopFox bandsaw and used to have a ShopFox table saw. That said, any future machines will be bought from Grizzly - not ShopFox. My reason is simple - parts! You can't order ShopFox parts on the internet, only through ShopFox dealers. There used to be a ShopFox dealer in my area, but they are long gone. If I need a ShopFox part, I have to call the nearest dealer (which is way too far away to travel to) and have them order the part for me. Then, they have to mail it to me themselves. Very time consuming. With Grizzly, you can order from their website and have what you need rather quickly. The machines themselves are comparable and I had no gripes with the ShopFox brand, but if a machine is down, I need the part today, not a month from now.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've bought several Grizzly tools including the 8" jointer. They are shipped UPS Freight and I just opt to pick them up at the local terminal. They load them on the pickup bed with a forklift and I unpack them in the bed of the truck. One thing I've noticed about Grizzly is they like cosmoline. Never seen so much of the stuff on their new equipment when it arrives. But then, I've also never seen any rust on them either. Just be prepared to clean a lot of the stuff off your new machine before using it. Not a problem, just an observation.

You can probably find a thread I started a while back on unloading and unpacking the 8" jointer I bought from them. My wife and I did it ourselves with no other help. Actually I found the thread here:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46897&highlight=Grizzly

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have the Grizzly 9" bench top band saw and it works fine as long as you remember it is only a 9". I had the Delta 14" before and sometimes forget I no longer have that one. For the little stuff I use it for I think mine is just fine.

JohnW

New User
John
Tony,
I've been a Grizzly user for + 10 years and have had several contacts with their parts and service folks. They have been very helpful. Grizzly sells and stocks a huge amount on inventory so I would think they are as good if not better at supplying aftermarket support as anyone.
I think their new tool overall quality has gotten better over the past decade and would agree with comments about "good bang for the buck".

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tony, I have a shop full of Grizzly equipment, which complements other equipment from Delta, Oliver, Laguna, Festool, Mattison, etc. I too find that Grizzly offers the "best bang for the buck" in terms of woodworking equipment.

In particular, their "Z series" and "Extreme" series of equipment is very well made. I'm not as impressed with their lowest cost equipment, but their mid and higher end stuff is well worth the investment IMO.

If you can spring for a jointer with an insert cutterhead, you won't be disappointed.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
Thank you all for your replies; I interested in a 12" jointer and after doing a ton of research I think I've decided on Powermatic. Now if I can just figure out a way to pay for it :confused:

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Tony, I have a shop full of Grizzly equipment, which complements other equipment from Delta, Oliver, Laguna, Festool, Mattison, etc. I too find that Grizzly offers the "best bang for the buck" in terms of woodworking equipment.

In particular, their "Z series" and "Extreme" series of equipment is very well made. I'm not as impressed with their lowest cost equipment, but their mid and higher end stuff is well worth the investment IMO.

If you can spring for a jointer with an insert cutterhead, you won't be disappointed.

I agree with you on the varying levels of quality and price points. I'll just add that I don't think that is any real knock on Grizzly as every brands cheap/economical models seem that way too

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
After comparing my father's 15" Powermatic planer to my 15" Grizzly planer (both seen, used and adjusted/setup in person by me), I don't think I would pay the extra money for Powermatic over Grizzly. All the minor imperfections that I could identify on the Grizzly machine also existed on the Powermatic. It left me saying "I thought these Powermatic units were supposed to be better/nicer, I just don't see it".

Either way, I am sure you will end up with a machine that more than suits your needs. The only difference will be how painful it is to write the check for it. Good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS