Grizzly shipping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I am about to order a Grizzly jointer (tool gloat will have to wait until I learn to use it!), and I am wondering what others have done about shipping. I know that the Grizzly price will bring the box to your house, but not off the truck. Have others gone to the shipping terminal to pick it up, or paid the shipper extra to have them unload it for you?

Trying to figure out the easiest way to go. Thanks!

Lloyd

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Lloyd,

I bought a 15" x 30" belt sander from Grizzly. I told them before I bought it that I didn't have any way to unload it. They shipped it by freight truck with a lift gate and a pallet lift. The sander weighs about 600 lbs. The driver unloaded it in front of my overhead door and then let me use the pallet lift to move it into it's permanent location in my shop. I used a jack to raise and block the sander to remove the pallet. Then I used the jack and progressivly removed the blocking.

I had a couple of buddies help me out.

Good luck. :wsmile::wsmile:
Lyell

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Whether to pick up at terminal vs home delivery,

Varies, from person to person. Several factors come into play.

Freight delivery, generally will unload at "curb side" only. some delivery folks with a little incentive, may even move to your garage, etc...

Some won't ...period.

Also, terrain plays a major factor, ( I have a major sloping driveway, so trying to move up a slope with any kind of hand truck, engine hoist, etc... very daunting doing solo. So having buddies helps alot.

If you decide to pickup at carriers terminal, you have x amount of time to pickup, otherwise the meter starts to run, they charge you for warehousing. But they usually will load into vehicle, so if you have a truck, great... then you just have to manage from there.

Contact, Grizzly and find out which default carrier they use, and then call that carrier directly, to find out what rules they play by. Not all are the same, and some are better than others.

I think you can even decide, and tell Grizzly which carrier you want, based on your due diligence with these carriers,

Good Luck,

M

pacific493

New User
Brian
I had a tablesaw held at the freight terminal and then hired movers to get it from there into my shop, and onto a mobile base. I found the movers on Craigslist and they were cheap (~$80), but were not particularly impressive. The other option I had looked at was renting a pallet jack from Sunbelt and truck from U-Haul, and using those to get it into my shop. In the end, I'm glad I hired someone else to do it.

FlyingRon

Ron
Which jointer? A 6" is probably an easy two-man lift out of the pickup truck so I'd be tempted to pick it up from the terminal.

In some of the other stuff, I've always been able to get them to unload it to the garage level (not too far from the street). My table saw I just put on the mobile base there and pushed it into the shop (all the same level and then put on the extension tables, fence rails, etc...).

Of course, I've got neighbors with a fork lift if I really had to ...

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Another thing that I've used for unloading from a truck is a homemade shop cart. A 2x4 and plywood cart on casters that's about 3 ft in height, 20in wide and 3 ft long. Sliding a big box from the back of the truck on to the cart is no big deal. No one has to lift the full weight and it's ready to roll in to the shop where you can un-box it, one piece at a time. Of course using this method depends on the machine and how it is packaged.

DavidD

New User
David
Grizzly ships by UPS Freight.

I have paid for liftgate service as well as picked up from the terminal. If you don't have a truck or have no way to unload it, I would go with the liftgate service. The 35 bucks or so that they charge is well worth saving your back!

The drivers have always been extremely helpful. They have even moved equipment into my garage even though my driveway is gravel and the truck cannot be pulled all the way in.

I had a bandsaw delivered (paid for liftgate) but the truck didn't have the liftgate that day. The driver and I unloaded the bandsaw into the bed of my truck and then helped me unload it into my garage. He went way beyond what he needed to and was very sorry of the mix up even though it wasn't his fault.

(Don't forget to tip the driver if he helps beyond his duty!) :icon_thum

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney

UPS Freight is the "old" Overnite Transportation if that helps any. Most of those guys used to be pretty decent. That and a good tip on the QT so the driver's supervisor doesn't know about it might help. Ya' know....cash money and a "little lost time"!!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt

I have paid for liftgate service as well as picked up from the terminal. If you don't have a truck or have no way to unload it, I would go with the liftgate service. The 35 bucks or so that they charge is well worth saving your back!

The drivers have always been extremely helpful. They have even moved equipment into my garage even though my driveway is gravel and the truck cannot be pulled all the way in.

I had a bandsaw delivered (paid for liftgate) but the truck didn't have the liftgate that day. The driver and I unloaded the bandsaw into the bed of my truck and then helped me unload it into my garage. He went way beyond what he needed to and was very sorry of the mix up even though it wasn't his fault.

You, my friend, are very lucky!

I have not enjoyed such "personal" service.

Most of my deliveries, are ....tough luck, buddy, which side of the driveway (curb) do you want this BEAST parked, and boom gone!

A very lonely feeling, indeed!

M

manfre

New User
Manfre
You, my friend, are very lucky!

I have not enjoyed such "personal" service.

Most of my deliveries, are ....tough luck, buddy, which side of the driveway (curb) do you want this BEAST parked, and boom gone!

A very lonely feeling, indeed!

M

Ouch. I had good luck with the my freight deliveries. It all depends on the driver. The last one helped drag a 250 lbs drill press up my steep driveway and across the yard into my shop. All he had to do was drop it off at the curb. Feel free to send me a PM the next time you find yourself staring at curb gloat.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'll toss in my $.02, my planer was delivered to my house. The truck was able to get off the road. My son was home to help. We backed the pickup close to the trailer and used 2 long 2x8's as ramps from the back of the tralier into the pickup. We tilted and pushed the planer enough to get it on the 2x8's and slid it down into the pickup bed. I stood on one side of our ramp and my son stood on the other just to keep it from falling. We were carefull about the spacing for the 2x8's. It was a very easy move.
We repeated the process getting the planer out of the pickup and into the barn. Once in the barn we let it rest on an old piece of rug and pulled the rug to slide the planer across the room to where I wanted it. Considering the 475 lb. weight it was pretty easy to do. Setting it up on the stand was a much different story. 3 members here helped me set it on the stand.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
When my G1023Z cabinet saw was delivered I thought it was going to be on a lift-gate truck but there was a mixup and so I needed a plan and quick.

I ended up backing my pickup up to the 18-wheeler and carefully unloading the saw (after breaking down the crate and moving separating the wings from the cabinet) with the driver into my truck bed (it wasn't too far below the level of the trailer), then I drove my truck into the garage, called a neighbor or two and unloaded the rest of the way.

I recently bought a 8" G0490 jointer used and after taking the table off the base, it was only a 2-man job so if you have a patient driver and the jointer ships in pieces, 2-3 guys can walk it off the trailer without too much trouble.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Depends on your location and ability

My location is very rural, so big delivery trucks can't get there. It was just easier and quicker to drive my trailer to the distribution center where they loaded everything on with a forklift. When I got them home, it was fairly simple to use big dowels to roll the big boxes off. The 14 year old boy and me weren't quite enough to lift, or slide the boxes out directly. Lifting the 8" Grizzly jointer onto the base was a two healthy man job, though. Use good lifting technique, so you don't hurt your back. :eusa_thin

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I had Grizzly deliver to my door. Since I'm a girl the driver took pity on me and pulled the bandsaw (G0555) up to my garage. Maybe you should have a woman take delivery! LOL

LloydP

New User
Lloyd
I ended up arranging to pick the jointer up at the UPS terminal in Morrisville. It was very easy - and they were really nice. Loaded it on my truck, and I was on my way in 10 minutes. I ordered this on Tuesday, and it was in my garage on Friday, even before I got the email from Grizzly that it was shipped! Nice.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I ended up arranging to pick the jointer up at the UPS terminal in Morrisville. It was very easy - and they were really nice. Loaded it on my truck, and I was on my way in 10 minutes. I ordered this on Tuesday, and it was in my garage on Friday, even before I got the email from Grizzly that it was shipped! Nice.

Way to go, Lloyd!

Can't go wrong doing that way , esp with UPS!

Thanks for following up with conclusion, I like to hear story book endings!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS