Grizzly Jointer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
I have found a grizzly G1018 8" jointer about which I have a few questions. 1) It is 5 years old and is listed at $600.00 do you think it is a fair offer? 2) Do any of you have experience with this jointer?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. This would be my 1st jointer.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have found a grizzly G1018 8" jointer about which I have a few questions. 1) It is 5 years old and is listed at $600.00 do you think it is a fair offer? 2) Do any of you have experience with this jointer?

You can get a new Grizzly 8 x 72 Jointer for $800, and it includes a built in mobile base. I think that $500 - $550 might be a fair price on the 5 yr old unit, as long as it is not excessively used. It it came out of a pro cabinet shop and has a lot of use, I'd drop to $400 - $450.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Considering that Grizzly has it listed at the bottom of there page for $765...I'd surely pass.

Like Scott said a newer one has a mobile base and the on/off switch located higher up and a longer bed by 7" (72" total). I would either go with the G0656 for $795 which is what I just described. Or the G0490 with parallelogram beds, 76-3/8" total length, which is what I have with the upgraded Byrd cutterhead which is highly recommended.

Good luck & keep you eye out, you'll find what your looking for in time.

g0656.jpg

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I shoot for 50% of new cost or better when buying used equipment. No warranty and you never know how much wear there is and how soon it will need repairs. You can always make an offer for a lower price.

old-delta

Wes
Senior User

I have a Grizzly 6" I purchased new. This is about the cheapest made on the market. Out of the crate it had issues. The out feed table was "diving" without adjustments. I contacted Grizzly and the response was, cut a soda can and shim...oookk..three months old, replaced motor bearings. fifteen months, replaced cutter head bearings. Two years, replaced power switch. The joiner is now four years old and sitting idle with need for second cutter head bearing replacement needed. I have used it a total of NINE HOURS. I had a machinist look at the cutter head and it is out of balance (out of round) causing the vibration. In my opinion, Grizzly is a disposable tool. They are "cheap" for a reason. I cannot give it away.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Half price of what it cost new all I would pay for a 5 year old Grizzly. I have their 8" with Spiral Cutter and couldn't be more pleased. But I think they're asking too much for the one you're looking at.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS