Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
This is a really long post. If you just want to see the slide show click HERE.

***If this is the wrong place for this type of post, please feel free to move it ***

Due to the recommendations of the woodworking world and the World Wide Web as a whole I bought the Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw. Now, I know there are a bazillion people out there that are PowerMatic freaks, or Delta freaks, or <name-that-brand> freaks, but at the end of the day we all have a budget that we have to work within. If you have the funds to go PowerMatic, or one of the other “high-end” brands then I’m envious. From everything I’ve read in countless forums websites and magazines, Grizzly is the way to go for the budget shopper (strictly on stationary tools). With that being said let’s get to it.

I ordered my saw, and received it about 4 days later. Be advised, it says very clearly on the box “DO NOT STAND ON END”. Either shippers do not read the boxes, or they don’t think the labels apply to them. I arrived at the back of the truck with my heavy duty two wheeled hand cart in tow to find the driver carefully lowering my saw down on its end. The box was beat to H-E-double hockey sticks. I took a picture, and it’s in the slide show, but it does not do it justice. We laid the box down for me to inspect the innards. I was ‘OK’ with what I saw so it was time to get it out of the middle of the street and into the shop. Mind you, in my excitement, I still hadn’t seen the label stating not to stand it on end. The driver stands the box back up ON END and onto my cart. I sign the papers (noting the damage to the box) and wheel it away. While going down the sidewalk I see for the first time… “PRECISION MACHINERY. DO NOT STAND ON END” My heart sank, what could have possibly broken? Well, at this point I’m almost there so why bother stopping now? A few more steps and the "precision machinery" is in the shop and gently laid back down on its side.

I’m chomping at the bit to get this bad-boy put together, but the wife has to work late. So, I have to get my son off the bus <insert favorite cuss>!!!

Too many days pass before I get back out to the shop. My shop is 12 miles from my home but that’s a different story. Anyway…

After entirely too long, I get back out to assemble the saw. Because the box was beat up so badly, I opened it carefully and slowly. I didn’t want to be the cause of more damage, if it existed. To my delight, the saw was almost completely unharmed. One of the upper side panels of the base was bent, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how that happened in shipping, it was bent the wrong way. In any case straightening it out was not a problem, tap, tap, tap. The only other “issue” was that the bottom blade guard was bent. Again no problem to straighten, but with this one I can blame packaging/handling.

Now, before I go on (and on), I am one of those rare people that enjoys assembling stuff like this. If I remember right, it took me about 3-and-a-half hours to put this beast together. I read several reports where it was done and running in 1.5 hours and I can believe it. I just really like to take my time. It doesn’t help that I am a slow reader.

After reading through the manual completely (great assembly instructions) I started to work. I removed the machine from the box. I stood it up so I could revel in its glory. Then I thought, “boy that was heavy… How am I going to install the riser and assemble this thing alone?” Well, I work alone almost exclusively so I improvised like I always do.

Installing the riser, alone, was the first order of business. Like I said this puppy is quite heavy. So I strategically cut the Styrofoam packaging to use as an assistant. With my little helper the install was quite easy. It still took a little man-handling but it wasn't too difficult. After the saw was back vertical (the exciting part) I decided to assemble the base. I separated all of the hardware first so I knew what was what and got started. The base was no problem and again the directions were great.

Now, pick up the saw body UUMMPHH!!! And set it down without scratching anything. At that point the saw was basically done. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know there are still lots of steps. But, the directions are great so follow them, UNTIL…

When you get the entire saw assembled, but before you install and tension the new blade STOP!!! This was where the assembly instructions, or lack thereof, became a problem.:kamahlitu Grizzly mysteriously left out the part of the instructions where you have to adjust the tensioner assembly when you install a riser. Not knowing this, I installed the new blade and tensioned it per the directions. What I didn’t notice was that the tension cross bars twisted up like used tin-foil. I’m mean that bad boy bent like, well look at the picture.

I called Grizzly the next day, cuz they were closed GRRR!! And they sent out the replacement parts immediately. The customer rep also forwarded me an instruction set to adjust the tension assembly via email in a pdf. I received the parts in 3 days. I’m glad I didn’t NEED my saw. But hey I still call that pretty darned good customer service. Granted, they left it out of the instructions sent with the machine and/or the riser, but they gladly worked with me to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

The new parts arrived, and again 3 days later, I was able to get out to the shop to install them. I think it was five bolts total for the whole assembly. It took about 3 minutes. Making all of the necessary adjustments to avoid bending everything again took another 2 minutes. Kind of a bummer it took 5 minutes to fix, but six days to get the parts and have time to get back at it. I guess that’s why I’m writing this.

I got to use the saw today for the first time. I love it!! I don’t even have a good blade on it yet and I still LOVE IT. If you want to view a slide show of the assembly process now, go here. If you have any questions send me a PM or email me at ablehands@nc.rr.com

Oh, the light you see in the last pic of the slide show... 20 bucks at Target. Magnetic mount or clamp mount. Runs on three AAA batteries. Bluish LEDs that provide pretty good light. I just have it clamped right now, but if I decide that I like the light it provides I'll drill, tap, and mount it.

Matt

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Your review is in the right forum, and I might say it is very good, I especially liked the slide show and the assistant you used. He don't say much though, kind of a man of few words:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Matt, terrific review! Loved all the details and the slideshow. All too often, someone will post pictures of a project like the Sistine Chapel and the only text is "After I applied the second coat of primer, I painted the figures".

I'm impressed you got the saw onto the base that way. I used three assistants, each a little taller than the previous one, and "walked" the saw up. But I still strained something making the final step......

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
good morning ! enjoyed the slide show bought this same saw couple months ago love mine arrived ok . i just installed the etension kit to incfrease capacity to 12" great investment resaws effortlessly. i also had same experience with tenesioner didnt bend as bad as yours caught it in time. but overall a great saw.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Delightful post, Matt!
And an excellent review of what's involved in bandsaw setup.

BTW, you forgot to credit the photographer . . .or was that another styrofoam helper :mrgreen:

Roger

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I tried to use a foam helper to shoot the pics, but I couldn't get the fingers right. Camera (Kodak Z710) has a great timer, and the ability to shoot 1 or 2 shots after the timer expires, really cool feature. In short I was the photographer.

Glad you liked my little guy.

Matt

Glennbear

Glenn
Great slide show and narrative Matt:eusa_clap I am glad you got your new [strike]toy[/strike] tool running. I also work alone and recently assembled my band saw so i can relate to your trials. :wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice narrative Matt. Ahhh..... the trials and tribulations of putting tools together. I swear, putting them together is the hardest part of all. :BangHead:

I have the GO-580. I put it together pretty easily and operated it normally before installing the riser. Didn't run into the tensioning problem that you did though. Glad to hear that you got it up and running. I really enjoyed the slideshow too. Your assistant is hilarious! :rotflm:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PS: Get some woodslicer blades on that puppy. :icon_thum

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
UPDATE: Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Assembly

I ordered and received an assortment of Timberwolf blades. I am in the middle of a little bone shaped elevated dog dish thing, so I needed to change the stock blade out to a 3/16" blade for the tight curves.

Upon making the change I had to adjust the tensioner assembly again. When I tightened the new blade, I just kept cranking the knob, and the blade stayed loose. I had it cranked all of the way, could not turn it any further, and the blade was still loose. So, break out the aforementioned missing instruction sheet and adjust the stops. Tension it up and I was back in business. Not sure what the difference is between the stock 105" blade and the 105" Timberwolf blades, but apparantly it's quite substantial. I hope I don't have to adjust the stops everytime I swap out blades.

Lastly, the little light that I showed in the slide show. I found the exact same light the other day at walmart for $9.99. Not that it matters though, I have decided that I don't really care for it. I am going to have to find a different light source.

Matt

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Matt,

Before you blame Grizzly for too much, just realize that bandsaw blade companies are notorious for making blades too long or too short. We've had alot of members that scratched their heads trying to figure out a problem and finally measured the blades to find out that they were off by about an inch. Just to let you know for future references.

Good luck with the blade and saw,

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
LOVE THE WRITEUP AND THE SLIDESHOW!

How did you do the pics? You have someone taking them or did you have your camera on a tripod set to auto shoot?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Travis - can't you figure it out? Notice that Matt and the assistant are never both in the picture... :rolleyes:

Matt,

Great slideshow! My kids got a kick out the assistant. That's the same guy that helped me with the riser kit on my BS. Fortunately he had a friend Come-Along. :) I have a chain anchored to a beam that hangs down where I can just barely reach it to put one of the Come-Along hooks in it. I keep the Come-Along on top of a shelf a few feet away. I highly recommend having that setup in place for heavy stuff. It's important (IMO) to leave the chain there and have the Come-Along very handy so it isn't too much trouble and I won't succumb to "just this one thing really quick" thinking.

I love that BS! I suggest you get a WoodSlicer blade. If the factory blade is the same one that comes with Grizzly riser kits, it's okay for general purpose cutting of stock 2" and under, but not resaw.

The stand looks a lot more solid than the old sheet mine has (not a Griz, but there was a Griz equivalent). Roller bearings, upgraded tensioner and great lighting - :jealous::jealous::jealous: for that, but for the excellent pictures and write up you get:

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Re: UPDATE: Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Assembly

I ordered and received an assortment of Timberwolf blades. I am in the middle of a little bone shaped elevated dog dish thing, so I needed to change the stock blade out to a 3/16" blade for the tight curves.

Upon making the change I had to adjust the tensioner assembly again. When I tightened the new blade, I just kept cranking the knob, and the blade stayed loose. I had it cranked all of the way, could not turn it any further, and the blade was still loose. So, break out the aforementioned missing instruction sheet and adjust the stops. Tension it up and I was back in business. Not sure what the difference is between the stock 105" blade and the 105" Timberwolf blades, but apparantly it's quite substantial. I hope I don't have to adjust the stops everytime I swap out blades.

Lastly, the little light that I showed in the slide show. I found the exact same light the other day at walmart for $9.99. Not that it matters though, I have decided that I don't really care for it. I am going to have to find a different light source.

Matt

I didn't read this before posting my previous one. So you don't care for the light? Then maybe I am less jealous. :roll: Nah, I would still trade in a heartbeat. :mrgreen:

TW makes good blades also. I broke one pushing a 9" to rediculous limits (involving making a replacement table to resaw some 4.25" mahog) and they replaced it even though their warranty excludes saws and IQs that small. :wsmile:

The "stops" - are these specific to your tensioner? I am right at the top of my adjustment and I could use a little more. I might take my riser off and add a shim.

EDIT - Because of who replied to who wnd when, this message may appear above the one I posted earlier, depending on your forum view settings...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The one pic, of the assistant sitting back drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette. Oh those were the days.

A cigarette would sure be good right now.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: UPDATE: Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Assembly

I am going to have to find a different light source.
I've been using this one from Harbor Freight. $5 with coupon (they go on sale now and then):
90766.gif

The magnetic base makes it easy to attach.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Matt,
I wish I had seen your Styro-buddy before I assembled my Rikon.I have to say I had to achieve some of the same positions when I set the upper half on the base myself.Excellent slide show,if you try some of those woodslicer blades post your opinion as I plan on getting some myself.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
JimmyC,
I don't blame Grizzly for anything except the missing instruction sheet. It is a little frustrating to get a new saw, follow the included directions, and have a part bend up like tin foil. I have no doubt that, for the money, this is one of the best saws on the market. As I said in my initial write up I am very happy with the level of customer service I received in rectifying the problem.

Travis,
The camera was indeed set up on a tripod and I used a timer. My camera has the ability to go off on a timer and shoot two frames about a second apart. It's pretty cool.

Andy,
The stops (as I am calling them) are the cylindrical pireces of metal you can see in the picture. The upper stop is very easy to see riding on top of the tensioner arms. The lower stop is a bit more difficult to see, but it's there between the arms down low.

NewTensioner001-sm.jpg

Travis,
Coffee, yeah that's what it is... :eek:ccasion1 Sure, it's coffee. :rotflm:
I am trying to quit smoking, but man the "coffee" makes it difficult.

Bas,
I like the looks of that light. Is the magnet good and strong? The armature looks a little short. Are you using that light on a band saw? Where do you have it mounted? The light that I show in my pictures is barely adequate. I thought the LED lights would work better. Could be dead batteries but then, in retrospect, I don't want to have to worry about that either.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great comments. Makes me want to buy and assemble something else just for the write up.

Matt

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yum yum, cigarettes!!!! Would love to have one myself, but if I have one I will have a carton....

I used to say I wanted one so bad I could eat one, but I don't say that anymore since I tried eating one and it was totally disgusting.....:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS