Grizzly chucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have never used one. I checked on a turning site and did not find a reference to them either.
That's not a bad price.
The Grizzly tools I've seen appear to be good value for the money.

gritz

New User
Robert
No problem if you have three hands. The two levers offer more of a challenge than I am easily able to master. I prefer the single tightening tool design of the (admittedly higher priced) geared chucks. I have one old chuck that requires four tightening passes that would make a great boat anchor.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
My $.02. get a better chuck. I have read many grizzly reviews on the lathe chucks. some are outstanding some not so much and some just plain YUK. seems it is a mixed bag. do you feel lucky?:gar-Bi tommy bars can be cumbersome but can be worked around. you can use the tail stock and the tool rest as 3rd and 4th hands.:wink_smil a quality tool becomes much cheaper over time.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I have the Nova G-2 chuck and two that use the tommy bars.I don't have any problems with the tommy bars,but thats just me.heck of a good price,but anybody know if the bolt pattern is the same as nova jaws?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have the second one, the bowl chuck. It works, but it can take some fussing with to make sure you have a really firm grip on the tenon. I don't usually need 4 passes, but rarely have it in just 1. What a "pass" means to me is tightening it and then shaking the blank pretty hard and getting it to move a little, resetting and tightening more. Usually just twice for me (sometimes you have to reset blanks on keyed chucks also, but way less often). When you want to take a nicely turned bowl off is when you wish for more hands. A very short drop onto the steel bed can do more damage to a bowl lip than you might guess (DAMHIKT :evil:). Anyway, they are not a total waste of money, but if you turn a lot of bowls you will probably get frustrated with it. It's just more trouble to use.

John Jankowski

John
Corporate Member
The one I have is

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6267

I like it a lot but it required some work. Before using it I had to disassemble it, clean out the oil and metal shavings and then spray some teflon/wax dry lubricant on the screw mechanism. I also bought the pin and large dovetail jaws. Its not as smooth as my large Vicmarc but it is just fine for smaller stuff.

John

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The one I have is

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6267

I like it a lot but it required some work. Before using it I had to disassemble it, clean out the oil and metal shavings and then spray some teflon/wax dry lubricant on the screw mechanism. I also bought the pin and large dovetail jaws. Its not as smooth as my large Vicmarc but it is just fine for smaller stuff.

John

That's the one I had on my Christmas list before I added the Bosch Jigsaw and cut a few dollars off the list by downgrading or removing other items. It's 100% more but only $50 or so extra. When you are loosening the cheaper one, have the bowl slip out, just about remove your kneecap on the stand trying to catch the bowl and end up curled in a ball on the floor moaning, it seems like maybe it would have been worth it...

Actually that will only happen once or twice and then you will start positioning a box with a rag in it under the bowl before you loosen.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OK,I shall ask again,will nova jaws work on these,anybody know,I called grizzly and when I mentioned Nova,they sorts lost interest in the subject.The reason I am asking is that I have an ajustable cole jaws that I mount on the small nova and was wondering if it would bolt on this :dontknow: :icon_scra

NCTurner

New User
Gary
OK,I shall ask again,will nova jaws work on these,anybody know,I called grizzly and when I mentioned Nova,they sorts lost interest in the subject.The reason I am asking is that I have an ajustable cole jaws that I mount on the small nova and was wondering if it would bolt on this :dontknow: :icon_scra

Dunno,might, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS