Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
No opinion on which Grizzly, but the spiral head is definitely worth the upgrade. I upgraded my Delta DJ-20 to a spiral head a few years ago and would never go back.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own a G0656 and am very happy with it. You can probably find a thread I started about setting it up few years back if you search.

The spiral cutter head is worth every penny as mentioned by Bill and Jeremy. It cuts easier, cuts cleaner and is much quieter than a blade based cutter head. Wouldn't buy a planer or jointer without one. (or would replace a bladed one if I had it.)

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Thanks Ken......you guys are telling me what I expected, but secretly was hoping everyone said, "Nah, no need for that extra expense" :no:
I'm curious, after owning the 656, do you see any need for the parallelogram beds? Did you have to do any shimming to your machine? Its $100 bucks more and I wondering if that is legit or a gimmick so they don't have to machine the parts as precisely as on dovetail ways.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The value of the parallelogram beds will depend on how much you use your jointer. I use mine for everything from prepping rough stock to fine tuning a joint. In the first case I adjust the infeed bed for a thick cut (1/16 - 3/32"). For the fine cut I drop it down to barely skimming the surface (~ 1/64" or less).

For me, the parallelogram makes it much easier than having to crank a wheel located under the bed. On the flip side, if you want to make a micro adjustment, the crank might be more accurate.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I recently came into a Grizzly 490x (with spiral head). I echo the observation that the parallelogram tables are a bit finicky to fine tune up or down but I'm a weekend warrior so it's never amounted to enough time to be frustrating. I waited to get a spiral head because I could easily see changing and tuning knives to get frustrating.

I've found the finish to be great on oak and sapelle. PM me if you want to see it in action <oops, just saw you're in Asheville... no doubt there's a closer demonstration>
Mike
Chapel Hill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bills explanation of the differences was better than mine will be here. I can only say that once I fine-tuned the spiral height to the infeed and outfeed tables I set the depth of cut to 1/32" and have never had to touch it again. No shimming or anything required. I like to take a very fine cut when flattening a board side or edge and just make as many passes as necessary. I hate to fuss with adjustments (guess I'm lazy) and like something that just works every time.

This is one where I never saw the need to pay extra for the parallelogram ways. I also liked the fence adjustment controls better on the G0656. Just a matter of preference in that case. It seemed better thought out than the other.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
They use different kind of spiral heads depending on the machine.

I got their j/p combo and originally they displayed it with the same kind of cutter in your link
I ended up with a different kind as shown in this updated link.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead-Polar-Bear-Series/G0634XP

I've had no issues with it so didn't see much reason to complain about it. Others might know if one kind is better than another and if you should confirm which cutter head the 8" will ship with.

I've passed alot of white/red oak through mine and so far have rotated the blades only once and to me I'd say its real close to finish quality.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I have the G0490X and would buy it again today. Great machine and accurate. Love it. The spiral head is worth every penny!

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS