Grit progression when sharpening?

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’m curious what grit progressions you guys use and what products. I used to use sandpaper on a flat piece of leftover granite from a job I was working on. I’d start around 300 and work my way up to 3000. It got my stuff pretty sharp but not where I thought it should be. Last year I got more serious about trying to get/keep my chisels/plane blades sharp. I got a Veritas MK II and a 300/1000 Trend diamond plate and finish up on a strop with yellow compound. Now this does seem to get it better than what I was doing before. At some point down the road I’ll probably get a wet grinder but that’s not in the cards for right now. My thought was to get the Norton combo waterstone 4000/8000 from Klingspors. I would finish on the strop from there. Is that taking it fine enough and would the Waterstones be a good next step?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You did good to get the Trend diamond stones. I like diamonds because the cut fast, stay flat, and don't wear out like sandpaper.

I never have liked water stones though. I have a set of Shapton stones that I use sometimes but my final hone is a Norton translucent Arkanas stone. Same size as the Trend plates I have. I use it dry and clean often with WD-40. I am working on a new private formula for a honing oil. Not quite there yet but looks promising.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've tried sand paper, water stones, natural wet stones, and diamonds. All of them work well and all have upsides and down sides. At present I use two diamond stones and a strop. It's highly efficient and effective. I use a slow speed grinder to start if needed. I haven't felt the need to add any more to the investment of sharpening.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike. I really like the Trend it does cut extremely fast. Do you go straight from the 1000 to the Arkansas stone and that’s it? Trying to figure out what people’s routines are. Thanks again.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
Graywolf, it sounds like you are doing about the same thing I do. Is your final grit before the strop 1000?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sometimes I use a strop but in my shop I always use the Arkansas stone last.
I have the other Trend Stone with 325? and 600 grits. Sometimes I go from 600 to the Arkansas.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use DMT diamond stones in coarse, fine and extra fine. I believe x-fine is approximately 1200 grit when new.

I finish with green chrome oxide on a leather strop. It leaves a hair-shaving sharp edge.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use coarse, extra fine, and extra extra fine DMT Dia-Sharp stones. If I sharpened freehand, I'd use a strop instead of the extra extra fine.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have 2 DMT diamond (DMT 10" Duo-Sharp Diamond Sharpener - https://www.bestsharpeningstones.co...ry_name=DMT Diamond Sharpeners&product_id=199) and a leather mounted on a block of wood
I am not sure of the grits, but if I take the time to work through the grits I can take a rough blade and be very happy with the sharpness of the (plane blade, chisel etc.) when I am finished. I think you are better off with the trend "stones"

I think I am only going up to 1200, then the strop - so if you are at 3000, you should be sharp...
maybe get a loupe or good magnifying glass as it helps you see the progress from one grit to another

I learned from Mike Davis, so take his direction first.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Graywolf, it sounds like you are doing about the same thing I do. Is your final grit before the strop 1000?
I'd guess it's about 1200. I don't have a lot of space and this system really works.

Newboy

George
User
I mimicked what they showed at Woodcraft. Bought Shapton glass stones and a guide. I stopped at 8000, then started going to 16000. The 16000 made a difference. So I got a 30000. I can’t tell it makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I seem to be in thenmijority here, but I don’t nearly go to that fine of a grit. I use the scary sharp sometimes and a harbor freight diamond block that only goes to 600 or 800. My plane blades do not shave my arm hair, but definitely cut wood. My chisels seem much sharper for some reason using the same method.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have tried sandpaper, arkansas stones, water stones and motorized water stones. They work better with an angle guide but what I use now I like by far the best, a WorkSharp 3000. It uses 120, 400, 1000 and 3600 grit sandpaper. I also got a finer grit, I think it was 5000 but I don't think it is worthwhile. Not significant benefit. It is normally very pricey for what it is but I got it a few years ago when Home Depot messed up and had it on line for about half price, about $100. At that price it is very worthwhile. I also have the knife attachment for it. I also use a grinder first if the edge is chipped and I have to remove a lot of material.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One thing people usually fail to mention is technique. You can get a very usable edge with a 600 grit diamond plate and a leather strop. Or even just the 600 grit. Always hone till you get that wire at the edge then very carefully hone the opposite side a few strokes. Then alternate very lightly between the two sides for just a couple strokes on each side. Try honing lighter and softer each time for about 4-5 times on each side. Even at 600 grit you should be able to shave hair easily. Most people are too heavy handed and waste time with too many strokes and too many different grits. Once you have an edge established and if you don't work too long between sharpenings you should be able to go to your finest stone for just a minute or two and be done.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
One thing people usually fail to mention is technique. You can get a very usable edge with a 600 grit diamond plate and a leather strop. Or even just the 600 grit. Always hone till you get that wire at the edge then very carefully hone the opposite side a few strokes. Then alternate very lightly between the two sides for just a couple strokes on each side. Try honing lighter and softer each time for about 4-5 times on each side. Even at 600 grit you should be able to shave hair easily. Most people are too heavy handed and waste time with too many strokes and too many different grits. Once you have an edge established and if you don't work too long between sharpenings you should be able to go to your finest stone for just a minute or two and be done.

+1

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes sir, unless I damage an edge I usually strop or go to my finest stone and then stop. We are talking less than two minutes and back at work even with hand planes just a moment or two and back to work.

bmathews1950

New User
Bob
I've tried sand paper, water stones, natural wet stones, and diamonds. All of them work well and all have upsides and down sides. At present I use two diamond stones and a strop. It's highly efficient and effective. I use a slow speed grinder to start if needed. I haven't felt the need to add any more to the investment of sharpening.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS