Grinding PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Hi,

I found a great craft for my kids' Y -guides tribes to make Native American flutes from PVC pipe. Do do this, I need to flatten about 1.5 inch section of the pipe. The web page I found uses a file and sandpaper, which I certainly have, but I need to knock out 16 of these things, so I'm looking for a little mechanical help.

Has anyone ever tried grinding it? Am I sacrificing a grinding wheel to do it?

Thanks

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The hotter the stuff gets, the more likely it is to melt. That would not be good for a wheel, file, or whatever. I'd also suggest a mask when working this stuff.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
How much flat? If it's near the end, you could run it through the TS or BS then finish it off with some sandpaper.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Actually its not that much maybe just hit it with a belt sander and just don't let them get too hot, then clean up with fine sand paper.

M

McRabbet

I'd try light touches on the trailing edge of a stationary belt sander. Keep the belt clean after each one with a belt cleaner.

Glennbear

Glenn
I needed to grind some PVC pipe to adapt it for dust collection on my shaper. It was done easily using a VS portable belt sander at low speed. I sandwiched the pipe between two pieces of wood at the proper height to keep my flat spot square to the axis of the pipe and give me a stable surface for the sander.:wsmile:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great time to get the kiddies involved, glue some sanpaper to some scrap and let em have at it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
All of the mentioned methods will work fine. PVC machines quite well unless you get it too hot.

Just be aware you will be covered with white "plastic snow". Sanding, filing, or otherwise machining PVC imparts static to the dust and chips, which will stick to everything including you, especially in the winter when it is cold and dry. Wear eye protection and maybe a mask.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I always wash the PVC flutes before I use them, but you blow into these, not across the side like a band flute.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Pardon my naivette, but any danger in the kids inhaling ground PVC pipe when playing these flutes?

M

You can probably clean and make it safe with soap and water or in the dishwasher. China was adding melamine (another thermoplastic) to baby formula which resulted in deaths here and there, but I don't know whether PVC has the same level of toxicity or how much you would need to ingest. I know I have sucked a few PVC chips over the years without any ill effects.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks for the advice. I had some 1/2 inch schedule 40 sitting around. I used a spoke shave to start out then filed it flat and sanded out the file marks. It took about 5 minutes. Not sure I want to do all 16 that way, I will be using 3/4 inch for the flutes. I will definitely use as mask if I use a belt sander and I'm not sure I want to expose the kids to the sanding. I will then put them in the dish washer.

Mike, It sounds like you have done this before, does it work well? I thought I could at least give the kids some Native American history and something to decorate.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Pardon my naivette, but any danger in the kids inhaling ground PVC pipe when playing these flutes?

M

Did a quick Google search and found this link:

http://healthychild.org/5steps/5_steps_5/?gclid=COPukb_N4Z8CFQxlswod-g_DGw

Just because Im paranoid, doesn't mean there isn't anyone out to get me!:confused_

I would check with your family physician as well as any other research.

One thing I saw, was that the PVC plastic degrades when put into the microwave, dishwasher. Also, when engulfed in fire, releases toxic gases!

Better to be cautious than sorry!

Matt

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the advice. I had some 1/2 inch schedule 40 sitting around. I used a spoke shave to start out then filed it flat and sanded out the file marks. It took about 5 minutes. Not sure I want to do all 16 that way, I will be using 3/4 inch for the flutes. I will definitely use as mask if I use a belt sander and I'm not sure I want to expose the kids to the sanding. I will then put them in the dish washer.

Mike, It sounds like you have done this before, does it work well? I thought I could at least give the kids some Native American history and something to decorate.

Top rack only, if you know what I mean...... Plastics don't do too well in the bottom rack.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Our Boy Scouts made some PVC flutes and I made a couple Cedar ones.

P0002087.jpg

Do not put them in the dishwasher the heat will deform the plastic. Just wash in clean water, really just a good rinsing will be fine.

The plastic ones work well and make a fairly good sound. I like wood better because it has a more mellow sound.

You really don't have to make a flat just cut a short piece of pipe and split one side for the nest. Between the nest holes on the outside of the flute place a piece of single side adhesive foam tape with a slit cut to channel the airway.

Are you using any instructions or designing as you go?

There are great instructions on the web, I can find if you need.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Our Boy Scouts made some PVC flutes and I made a couple Cedar ones.

P0002087.jpg

Do not put them in the dishwasher the heat will deform the plastic. Just wash in clean water, really just a good rinsing will be fine.

The plastic ones work well and make a fairly good sound. I like wood better because it has a more mellow sound.

You really don't have to make a flat just cut a short piece of pipe and split one side for the nest. Between the nest holes on the outside of the flute place a piece of single side adhesive foam tape with a slit cut to channel the airway.

Are you using any instructions or designing as you go?

There are great instructions on the web, I can find if you need.

This was the design I was using. It seems to be down for some reason, hopefully it will come back up.
http://www.nativeaccess.com/ancestral/flute-adv.html

Maybe CPVC would be better? I noticed the pipe in his pictures has a brownish tint.

Mike,

Is you flute a single piece or glued up? I work with a guy who makes them as a side business. He uses gun barrel bits so he can make a single piece flute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS