Greetings from Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Hi everyone! I'm a hobbyist who's setting up a small shed shop to get back into woodworking. I like to build things that have a purpose, though i occasionally build things in wood "just because". I am currently working a bandsaw (thread under power tools forum) and i'm gonna get to my jointer right after.

I was born in Brooklyn, NY, and raised upstate in Albany. I learned to use my first shop machines watching my father and uncle renovate the homes we lived in. I moved back to Brooklyn to go to school, and had the pleasure of taking a sculpture class with Toshio Odate. I can't say that I absorbed his skill, but I will say that he shared a love for woodworking, a fondness for green tea, and a belief in hand tools. (I still am in awe of the effortless shavings he produced from a block plane.

I moved to the NC area in 2003, and currently work for Wurth USA, but in the Automotive division, not the wood one.

I would like to design and build furniture, get better at carving and reacquaint myself with power and hand tools.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Glen

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to NC and to NCWW from another former New Yorker. I grew up in the Poughkeespie area

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome Glen! Lots of displaced Yankee's here, so you should fit right in!

I didn't know that Wurth had an automotive division; what do y'all make?

Scott

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Welcome Glen! Lots of displaced Yankee's here, so you should fit right in!

I didn't know that Wurth had an automotive division; what do y'all make?

Scott

Wurth makes a chemical line specific for the auto industry... And we sell auto specialty clips and fasteners. I basically go west to Burlington, North to Oxford and East to Roanoke and SE to Greenville visiting dealerships and body shops. We are big on service. I used to work for Hilti, and they restructured. Great company, but I didnt want to move to stay with them- NC will be my home from now on!

Bryan S

Bryan
Glen welcome to our virtual sawdust pile we are glad to have you with us. Lots of good people here and quite a few of them in your area. There is always someone willing to lend a hand or share some knowlege. Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Glen, if you are interested in hand tools, the Woodwright's school in Pittsboro would be the place to go. Plenty of classes and only hand tools except for some muscle powered lathes and such. George at klinsgspor's in Raleigh is an excellent carver. he could recommend something for you. Glad to have you on board.

Roy G

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wurth makes a chemical line specific for the auto industry... And we sell auto specialty clips and fasteners. I basically go west to Burlington, North to Oxford and East to Roanoke and SE to Greenville visiting dealerships and body shops. We are big on service. I used to work for Hilti, and they restructured. Great company, but I didnt want to move to stay with them- NC will be my home from now on!

Very cool! One of our NCWW members works at Kenny Hawkins Automotive in Raleigh, and two others (TracyP and Partsman) work for dealerships.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Glen,
If you're interested in woodcarving, I attend a monthly meeting of the NCWoodcarvers group at Klingspors store in Raleigh. We meet every second Sunday of each month at 2p at the store on capital ave. Feel free to stop in next Sunday to see what's up.

If you plan to go, let me know and I'll look for you there.
Michael
vtxmanmike@yahoo.com

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Roy:

ive had my eye on the wood rights school for some time. I keep saying im gonna make time to take a class. Someday...
i'll ask for George next time im in klingspors. It might be nice to learn a bit. I bought the knives i use for whittling there.
michael: ill be out of town this month, but perhaps next month. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Scott: i work a pretty big area BUT Raleigh, Cary and apex are VERBOTEN for me, ill keep my eyes open for someone in my area. Im heading to winterville today.

thanks for ALL your welcomes guys, i read every night on this forum. You guys have a wealth of honest advice!

glen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS