Greetings from Apex, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbc58

New User
chris
Greetings from Apex, NC.

Found this site recently while on a hunt for a planer.

Hope to get into woodworking and build some furniture and items from some old building materials/lumber. Tore down a small barn (16x20) and have a fair amount of old barn boards, beams and misc. wood that I'd like to bring back to life somehow.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Chris

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Chris,
Welcome to the friendliest site on the net. There is an abundance of information and friendship on this site. If you need a question answered just ask and watch what happens. PS: We love photos, no photo didn't happen.

Welcome

Tracy

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Chris, welcome to NCWW! I like the fact that you are using reclaimed lumber, because that usually means it's cheap! We love to see pictures - pictures of you, your workshop, projects, family, tools, lumber, we're not picky!

Good luck with that planer hunt. :tool:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Chris,

Welcome to our pile-o-sawdust. I'm glad you decided to join us. What kinds of furniture are you planning? What kinds of wood were you able to reclaim from the barn?

Since you said that you want to "... get into woodworking...", I'm assuming that you aren't a furniture maker yet... so I'll make a suggestion. If you have old / reclaimed lumber, get a metal detector to scan the wood for bits of metal. Old pieces of nails, etc. can ruin a tool or its blades real quick. If you have wood that has any surface grit, a belt sander is a great way to start treating the wood. That grit can dull a blade quickly. (I'll stop preaching now.)

Can you tell us about what kind of a shop or types of tools you have? Did we mention that we LOVE photos of projects, shops, tool purchases, the shop dog, etc...

Ray

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Chris!

Happy you joined us. I like reclaiming old wood as well. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the old barn wood.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Chris,

If you hang out long enough, you'll learn something, and hopefully teach us something. We are more than cyber, so feel free to join in on the social gatherings and don't forget the picnic on May 17th, that is where we all get together to meet each other.

It's nice have you with us,
Jimmy:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Chris, I am glad that you could join us. Did you find a planer??? I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing what you make out of that old barn.
Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Chris,

Thanks for the intro. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap This is a great site and as others have mentioned, it really is a FAMILY. Dive right in and enjoy! :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

M

McRabbet

Hi Chris and welcome to the best ww site in the Universe. We'll be drooling til we hear what you're planning for the barn materials -- but a word of caution when you do get that new planer -- buy a good metal detector and carefully scan each plank before you run them through the planer, 'cause a small nail or even an embedded stone chip will tear up your blades in a heartbeat -- DAMHIKT (check the NC WW Lexicon for that one; its under the NC WW Info tag on the top menu bar).

Happy to have you here -- but remember that we are visually oriented, so the barn didn't happen yet, 'cause there are no pics.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Chris!!!!:wav:

You are just around the corner from the "Cary, Retired Kids". I am sure that you will enjoy every minute logged into the NCWW'r. I too am a :newbie: and can honestly say that every log-in is a learning experience!!!! Please be prepared to share pictures of your new projects, tools and shop...............you know by now, that we love them!!!:eek:ccasion1

Post often and enjoy all of these wild sawduster's!!!

Wayne

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
If you have old / reclaimed lumber, get a metal detector to scan the wood for bits of metal. Old pieces of nails, etc. can ruin a tool or its blades real quick. If you have wood that has any surface grit, a belt sander is a great way to start treating the wood. That grit can dull a blade quickly. (I'll stop preaching now.)

Ray

+100 on that suggestion, Ray. C'mon in the shop, Chris.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Howdy neighbor! I am in Cary, but right at the point where Cary, Apex and Holly Springs confront each other. I am close enough to lend a hand sometimes as are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS