Greenman carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
A Greenman based on a pattern by Chris Pye.
His is 17" tall and 3 or 4 inches thick. This one is 10" high and 1.5" thick sapele.
(It started out 2" thick but my first try was pretty bad so I ripped it off and started over!)
My next one will be thicker to allow more curvature to the face.
It was fun to carve and I learned a lot.

My_First.jpg

pete

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice work Pete! What did you think of that sapele? I've found sapele to be a bit difficult. Looks like you got past any challenges though!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That's neat...where are these usually displayed? And what do they symbolize?

There is actually a lot of history behind them. Originally a Pagan symbol; they are meant to represent the connection between man and nature. They are displayed on many churches in Europe. One theory is that they were there to make the Pagan's more comfortable entering a Christian church. There's lots of info on the web. Even Robin Hood is associated with green men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenman has good info and pictures.

pete

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I showed the pic to Luke and once again your work has inspired him.

Glad to hear it. Did he finish the carving from Marks class?

You'd be welcome to take another trip down if he'd like to.
Right now I'm working on a Gargoyle in the round.
He might like that.

pete

sawduster

New User
Robert
Nicely done bro :eusa_clap :icon_thum I have always been partial to the green man icon and have even made my own scroll saw pattern for one. I like yours a lot :icon_cheers

Good job !! :notworthy:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Glad to hear it. Did he finish the carving from Marks class?
pete

He hasn't completed it yet, but every chance he gets he comes to the shop and works on it a little more. He did a shell carving recently just for practice, and he's getting better w/ each piece. Still a long ways to go, though.

Bill

MT native

New User
Jane
Nice job Pete. I haven't tried a Greenman yet as I don't have enough confidence to do it justice. I can only hope that when I get to that point my carving is as good as yours.

Jane

bwat

New User
Bill
Very nice :icon_thum I'll bet there is a good market for these if you ever wanted to go into production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS