Green wood treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have a small maple cookie, maybe 20” diameter that I would like to do something with one day as it is from a tree in my parents yard. It was cut down yesterday and I would like to know what to do with it to keep it from cracking or rotting. It’s about 1.5-2” thick. Thank you

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Stick it in a plastic garbage bag and squeeze the air out. That will hold the current moisture content for a while.

Go

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The plastic garbage bag would do the job, but don't leave it in there too long unless you want mold all over it.

Roy G

awldune

Sam
User
Another way to keep wood "green" is to put it in the chest freezer. This is popular among turners for bowl blanks.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The plastic garbage bag would do the job, but don't leave it in there too long unless you want mold all over it.

Roy G

Absolutely. I should have clarified this was just a way to temporarily hold it until he could seal it. Good catch. Just wrapping it with kraft paper, etc would also slow down the moisture loss, and would probably be less susceptible to mold growth. Again, a temporary holding method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS