Green Wood Finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghayes02

New User
Gary
I have a question that has been with me for years:
When you take a green turned bowl that has been dried and you are going to remount it on the lathe to finish turning. You mount the bowl on a center on the head stock, (using some method,)and on the center of the tail stock. This way you can true up the dove tail center for re-mounting the bowl onto the chuck. (I hope I am being clear.)
I have a Nova DVR XP. The hand crank for the live center on the tail stock is about 4 inch's in Dia
. So when I try and use a Dovetail tool to re-cut the chuck mount D/T, there is no way to get the D/T tool aligned perpendicular to the bowl bottom because of the tail stock and the hand crank.
Does anyone have a way to do this??? I have tried short D/T, long tools nothing seems to work.
What I do is just leave some extra on the green turning top allow for the out of round in the bowl when it dries. But this is a wast of wood and a lot more work. So if anyone can help I would be very appreciative

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A few pictures would help. :dontknow:

My tail stock extends about 14 inches so it doesn't get in the way. But, I can see where a shorter one could cause problems.

Maybe make a 90° offset tool to recut the dovetail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS