Great Deal on Mortise Chisels

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I got my set earlier this week and they are very nice -- but the 1/4" one was missing the blade protector. I sent an email back to Lee Valley Customer Service and they have one on its way to me. Just one more piece of evidence on why they are one of the very best companies on the planet! Earlier this year I ordered some rare earth magnets and corresponding steel cups for a project. Two weeks ago, I received a $5 refund check from them because they had dropped the price in their new catalog and sent me the difference!

Beat that? Yep -- they have donated more than $1,500 in tools for our Raffles -- you better get your tickets now because this Fall's Drawing is no exception and there is only one week left!

Len

New User
Len
Better late than never I guess, my chisels finally arrived today, and they are very nice. They'll be getting a try out this weekend, after hitting the stones for a hone & polish.:gar-Bi

I was a bit suprised to see they were just wrapped in corrugated cardboard stapled at each end, with no packing inside to keep the blades from banging on each other.:icon_scra

And I'm really ticked with UPS. Knowing I wouldn't be home at the time, when I submitted the order I put in the 'Special Instructions' box, "Leave on front porch, near door." And this was printed on the package shipping label and highlighted so it'd be noticed. Apparently the few steps to protected area of my covered front porch were too much for the UPS person. So the package was left laying in my driveway, where I almost didn't notice it when I pulled in.:wmad:

Len

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Got mine. Was a bit surprised by the packaging, but no nicks so I think I'm good. What a deal! Can't wait to use them!

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I had forgotten I ordered these chisels.

I asked LOML if she knew of their whereabouts and she told me, "they are Christmas presents". I guess I get to look em over Dec 25th. :cool:

Chuck

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I received mine this week as well and spent some time with them on my borrowed worksharp 3000. Except for the 1/2" chisel they were all flatter from the factory than my Narex bench chisels and once flattened they took a bevel very nicely. The real test obviously is to see how much pounding they will take before looking the edge and unfortunately for these chisels my next project is all dovetails and dados!

zapdafish

New User
Steve
om the worksharp, what angle did you choose to sharpen them at? 25 seemed the closest to me but I wanted to double check first.

I received mine this week as well and spent some time with them on my borrowed worksharp 3000. Except for the 1/2" chisel they were all flatter from the factory than my Narex bench chisels and once flattened they took a bevel very nicely. The real test obviously is to see how much pounding they will take before looking the edge and unfortunately for these chisels my next project is all dovetails and dados!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Well, only took two weeks of me looking at this to throw in the towel and order them. Should be fine users for someone at my skill level. Wish the shipping had been a bit cheaper. I guess I could have added more, but that would have been unwise.

Thanks for all the info on these.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
om the worksharp, what angle did you choose to sharpen them at? 25 seemed the closest to me but I wanted to double check first.

It wasn't exact but the original seemed to be ground to 25 deg; I chose to put a micro bevel on at 30 deg to save time with that huge amount of metal on the original bevel. Hopefully that won't impact the ability of the chisel to dig into the wood too much, we will see.

Len

New User
Len
Did the 'scary sharp' thing to my set and used them to finish up the test pieces I used when trying out the "striking post" idea with my B&D Workmate a while back. Very nice, but no pics. My grandaughter borrowed the camera for her trip to see relatives in Maryland.

Len

eyekode

New User
Salem
I put these on my LeeValley wish list and my Mom picked them up for me for Christmas :). I just sharpened a few and I am way impressed! It took < 5 mins a piece to get them razor sharp! This included lapping the backs. They were flatter on the back then the Hock Iron I bought for my Krenov style plane. After lapping the backs to 2000 grit sandpaper I honed a micro bevel free hand. This was easy because they are ground at a shallow angle.

The weight, length and handles are really nice (to me). Did I mention I am pleased with these chisels? Sorry if you missed out!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS