Got a couple of things finished this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
First, my shop cabinets - I finally finished making some doors for them. I almost had a catastrophe with the hinges, though. I bought some from Home Depot and they simply sucked! I used nice Blum hinges on my other cabinets and I thought the Borg hinges would at least be acceptable. Well, they weren't. Thankfully Woodguy pulled through for me - he has some extra Blums on hand, so I was able to finish the project today...

Before:

IMG_0087.jpg

After:

IMG_0616.jpg

Hey, it may not look like much, but at least it's one more thing off my list!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Works for me. I don't think that vise you have there is doing much good on the bench top.:lol: What kind of a vise is that?:eusa_thin

Monty

New User
Monty
That is a Wilton quick-release vise.

It's been sitting in that spot for a while now, waiting for me to build a bench to use it on.

Lately I've been eyeing that hole in the cabinet where the vise is sitting. I've been procrastinating making a drawer to finish it. However, lately I've been thinking about maybe mounting the vise right there in that drawer space. It would be a perfect fit. The only thing I'm worried about is warping the countertop from the extra weight on the corner. The counter is laminated two layers - 3/4" melamine on top and 3/4" MDF on the bottom, glued with Roo-Glue and screwed together. So, what do you think - give it a try? The worse that can happen is I'll have to make another countertop - wouldn't break my heart.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Those uppers look a lot better with doors on them. :eusa_clap It looks like you cleaned up a little too. ;)

Get those 2x4s out of the shop and you'll be set. :-D

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Everybody needs a good stout workbench. You should bite the bullet and build one if for no other reason to serve as an assembly table. You always need more horizontal surface in a shop.

I don't think the weight of the vise is gonna be the problem. It is when you clamp something in it and start exerting force, that is when the tabletop will complain.... But what the heck, go for it, hang it on there and lets see what happens. If it breaks build a workbench top of some laminated stock or buy some old butcher block at a restaurant supply house. I have two vises on my workbench and I am always glad to have access to them. An extra set of hands is truly nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS