Good use for an old forgotton appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Some of my turned items just didnt lend themselves to be finished on the lathe for one reason or another. That meant I had to apply finish coats in a manual manner.

This is VERY difficult, no matter how patient you are. I am fond of spray finishes because it is easier to apply it evenly, but still its tedious for bowls.

That prompted me to find a motorized turntable of some kind.

I looked all over the web. I found some, and the price for them was OUTRAGEOUS.

As my frustration mounted, my engineering instincts kicked into gear as well.

I came up with a solution.

The next Saturday, I set out to our local flea markets and scoured yard sales. The day started out cheery and hopefull but by lunch time my expectations were diminishing.

Finally, my last hope and last stop was a flea market.

I asked a merchant with a huge selection of goods, so many I could not discern one object from another, if he had what I was seeking. Lo and behold, under the table covered in a layer of dust so thick it looked like brown felt, was the prize of my attentions.

An old LP record player!

Yes, an old vinyl record player, you know, 8, 16, 33 rpms. PERFECT for a turntable to spin objects slowly and apply finish.

I took the record player home and set to work on it. It needed some tuning up, but worked fine. I made a hub from maple that fits on the skinny chrome spindle, turned to fit the counterbored feet of my bowls and urns.

From that point on when I put my final coats on my urns and bowls, I usually drop it on the hub, plug it in and spin it at 16 rpms and rarely get runs or imperfections.

You can take something old, delapidated and forgotten and make something new and quite useful. Some old things can be recycled into new tools very innexpensively.

Bet you have one up in your attic!

cad

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
WOW, what a great idea Cad.:icon_thum I bet you picked-up that old LP player for next to nothing too.

D L

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great idea. My wife has a turntable that we bought a few years ago at a yard sale. But I would be in the dog house for a long time if I was to use it for anything except playing her huge collection of 33 & 45 rpm records. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have it setup so she can play it through our sound system. I have even connected it to my computer and copied the tracks onto a CD.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
D L Ames said:
WOW, what a great idea Cad.:icon_thum I bet you picked-up that old LP player for next to nothing too.

D L

Yes, when he pointed it out, I nearly burst out in excitement. But thankfully I remembered where I was and subdued my joy and urges to express triumph and jubilation.

I picked it up dusting the dust off, and examined it with the most dire of frowns and disgust, then looked over at him and said with a curled lip resembling a dog that has accidentally mistaken vinegar for fresh water and said "I'll give you five bucks for it" and laid it back down like I really didnt want it.

He was moving around me to pick it up and put it in a recycled Piggly Wiggly shopping bag faster than Barney could say "citizens araest" and presented it before me as I continued the sharade, pulling my wallet forth, hesitating, looking at him with doubt.

"I'll take less if you dont like that..."

I went on and gave him the five spot.

I was beaming from ear to ear on my way to the car.

cad

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A little along the lines of old LP's. True Story! Last spring my LOML told me that I had to dispose of my old record collection (33 1/3's from the 60's, 70's, 80's) - all 1200 of them in order to free up some closet space.
Found an ad in the N&O where I guy from downtown Raleigh was opening a used book and record store and needed to stock his shelves. Well this deal fell right into his hands! Sold the whole lot and guess what I bought with the proceeds! Well..... a new Rigid tablesaw of course!
I did keep a few of my favorites as I still spin them every once in a while. This turntable I would NOT USE as the same type of appliance though. My initial cost was much too high!

You know that one has been infected with that dreaded disease when you start trading in some of you prize possessions for new toys aaah tools!

You should apply for a patent on that new thingamajig!

Good Thinking!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors