Good Morning from the coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

hforr

New User
Howard
Good morning;
This is my first post here at NC woodworking. I'll tell you a bit about who I am
My name is Howard Orr, I am 61 years old, and have been enjoying retirement for 13 years. I spent 4 years in the USMC back in the mid 60s, and shortly after getting my discharge I entered the Pa. State Police. I was able to retire with full benifits at age 47. 9 years ago my wife and I started spending the winters at Topsail Beach, and 3 years ago finally got 2 1/2 acres here in Holly Ridge. I built my "Dream Shop" behind our house, and now spend 9 months here, and 3 in the woods of Pennsylvania, in a camper trailer. I have been doing woodworking for many years. I spent last year making pens, and wine bottle stoppers, and have now moved on to scroll saw, and intarsia projects. I have found that most people are not willing to pay what a project is worth, so I have stopped trying to sell my items, and am happy to give them as gifts.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Howard, welcome to the best woodworking forum in NC! I don't know if you realize it or not, but there's a great sawmill owned by one of our members right down the road from you in Burgaw.

When you have a minute, check out some of the posts by Ivey here on the forum and you'll see what I mean.

A word of caution... this group will hound you for photo's of your projects, so I hope that you've got a digital camera! :lol:

Scott

hforr

New User
Howard
Well glory BE;

Just in my first post with NC woodworking I get some useful information. I have been trying for several years to find a sawmill over here on the coast with little or no luck. Can you give me some details on who has it, and what his username is? I brought back some wormy chestnut barn beams from Pa this summer, and was looking for someone to resaw them., I have since chunked a couple of pieces off the end, but EVERYONE needs a good sawyer now and then.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Howard! Great to have you with us. I believe Ivey is the sawyer you're looking for :).

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome Howard! at the top of the page, you will find a tab "Where Are", and under there you will find a listing for NC Sawyers. I'm pretty sure Ivey has already been listed there.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Howard, come by for a visit anytime.
Welcome to NCWW. Very sharp folks around here.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hello Howard,

Let me add another welcome to the NCWW site. Pete's correct that Ivey is listed under the Where Are? function. So are loads of others, sawyers, dealers, and so on. I think the real fun is in the postings here. You'll find a great group of woodworkers here. So... post a question, or answer someone else's. Upload a couple of photos (we do love our photos here). And, again, welcome.

Ray

mcoston2

New User
michael
Welcome to the group Howard. :eusa_clap
The sawdust gang that hangs out here is very useful. Taught me a few things.:icon_thum

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Howard, welcome to the best WW'ing site on the net. It's good to have another "Coastie" on the site. I live about 25 miles from you up HWY 50 and go through Holly Ridge when we go to our house in Surf City (that is For Sale if you know someone that wants water front property). Look forward to seeing photos of some of your work and maybe a look at your Dream Shop.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Howard, welcome to the best woodworking forum in NC!
Scott
Welcome Howard! I'll go so far as to say, welcome to the best WWing forum on the WHOLE WWW, not just in NC! Nice folks on the site always willing to lend a hand. Jump in anytime with questions or suggestions.
Take care,

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Howard! We're glad to have you and look forward to seeing pictures of your work.

hforr

New User
Howard
Thank you for the reply, I am having some trouble navigating around all of this, but I guess I will figure it out.
Howard.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Howard and welcome to the site. As Splinter said, "It's good to have another "Coastie" on the site".

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Welcome Howard! Good to have another one out here on the coast. I live in Trenton, work in Sneads Ferry. Welcome aboard, Semper Fi, OOO-RAA and all that stuff!!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Welcome!!

Gee another Yankee- actually it seems like there are a lot of them here (including me :-D ) . And someone who retired younger (way younger!) than me, too.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to the site Howard theres a great group of folks here and allways someone willing to lend a hand. I dont think your very far from Ivey, I've heard nothing but good about him and hope to pay him a visit soon.

I was able to retire with full benifits at age 47.

Now as far as this!
A stealth gloat on your first post. May I be the first to send a "you suck" your way :lol: . Wow congrats on being able to retire at 47:eusa_danc Maybee if I'd been a little smarter I could be close to doing that.

Thanks for you service in law enforcement that seems to be one of those thankless jobs.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer Howard!
It's a great place for give and take :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger (another retiree)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group. I see you have an album and can't wait to see your work. Always great to have another scroller on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS