Good bye 2020

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
As we come to the end of 2020 and look forward to 2021 let's not forget what we have been through this year. I have missed the lunch's, Extravaganza, picnics and all the other get to gathers. I also remember some of the members that have love ones Phil, Dirk, Richard and Colman come to mind. Let us all have a better 2021. This is the Friendliest' Woodworking suite around so I will keep wishing Happy Birthday to you all.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I agree with Danny that we look forward to 2021 with great hope for better times -- I lost my daughter suddenly late last February and have spent much of 2020 insuring that my 14 YO special needs grandson that she left will be well taken care of this year and into the future. I've been blessed with having a close friend that has taken on the duties of full-time caregiver for him, have gone through all the legal issues concerning my daughter's estate and his guardianship and have set up an irrevocable trust to insure his long term financial well being. We close the sale of her house in 10 days (a full price sale) and I've just spent the last 9 days with him as we joined 2 of my sons for Christmas and now with my niece and nephew for several days as we are enjoying bringing in the New Year from a nice State Park in Santee, SC. We've been maintaining safe social distancing throughout and wear masks whenever we venture into the public, so all of our health is being safeguarded. I'm looking forward to a new and better year!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Rob agreed, having to fill in for my kid's lack of social interaction is just another thing as parents we are happy to do. But, hoping for 2021 to be better

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
FB_IMG_1609448461982.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have very few fond memories of this year.

For the second time in my life I almost died and a quick trip to ER saved me.
Then several months of recovery at home with no visitors.
Still having some minor complications and taking antibiotics every day for 4 months.

On the plus side I was able to repair an heirloom rocking chair to like new after movers destroyed part of it and the owners are very happy that it could be saved.
Several members were able to come to my home to take sharpening lessons since any larger gatherings were out of the question. I bought a hospital grade infrared thermometer to check their temperature and mine, we wore masks, and washed hands. It worked out pretty well.
Also started long term classes for a young friend of my daughter. She will be back in January after 2 weeks of isolation after flying home and back for the holidays. Several people have donated tools to start her kit. I am very grateful for the generosity of this group and I’m sure she will be as well.

My workplace shut down and laid off all employees but it was while I was out on medical leave and we have short term disability insurance through the company so I did not lose wages and did not have to take unemployment. I have never taken a government check in my life but that may change in a few years as retirement age approaches. Of course I have paid for that benefit.

Mostly I have missed seeing my many good friends here and working together on Outreach events and community projects.

The lunches.

I sincerely hope that everyone has a wonderful New Year filled with blessings and good work.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My day was a microcosm of the year.

I broke down all the cardboard boxes the Christmas presents came in and loaded them into our old van to take to the recycling center along with some other stuff. I'll also stop at the bank to deposit a check. Just as I pull out of the driveway onto our street and suddenly something doesn't feel right and the van pulls hard to the right. A flat.

I get out and it's bad, pulled right off the rim. ***?

I walk back to the house and grab everything I need to change the tire; breaker bar, impact wrench, socket, floor jack, etc. Just as the van starts to rise up on the jack, it starts to rain. It's 50° out. When I open the hatch to get the mini-spare I realize I still have three 4'x8' sheets of 3/4 plywood in there on top of the well for the spare. Crap.

Plan B. I'll leave the van on our little side street with the flashers on and take the tire to the local tire shop. When I open the trunk of my Nissan it's filled to the very brim with all my tennis coaching junk: rackets, balls, shoes, folding chairs, a pop-up, god knows what else. I put it all in the garage.

In goes the tire and I'm off. The tire store wasn't too busy and a half hour later I'm on my way home with my fixed tire. At least the rain had stopped.

I get back to the van and take the tire out of the trunk. Just then it starts to rain again as if on cue. After some wrestling with a filthy, slippery tire, it finally goes on. Not sure why it was so hard. Done.

I hop in the van and turn the key. Er-er-er. Nothing. The van hadn't been driven in damn near forever plus I'd left the flashers on because I was still partially in the street. I walk back to the house, get the Nissan, and jumpstart the van.

I put the Nissan away and drove the van to the bank to charge it up. At least that errand got done. When I got home I cracked a beer. I earned it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
My day was a microcosm of the year.

I broke down all the cardboard boxes the Christmas presents came in and loaded them into our old van to take to the recycling center along with some other stuff. I'll also stop at the bank to deposit a check. Just as I pull out of the driveway onto our street and suddenly something doesn't feel right and the van pulls hard to the right. A flat.

I get out and it's bad, pulled right off the rim. ***?

I walk back to the house and grab everything I need to change the tire; breaker bar, impact wrench, socket, floor jack, etc. Just as the van starts to rise up on the jack, it starts to rain. It's 50° out. When I open the hatch to get the mini-spare I realize I still have three 4'x8' sheets of 3/4 plywood in there on top of the well for the spare. Crap.

Plan B. I'll leave the van on our little side street with the flashers on and take the tire to the local tire shop. When I open the trunk of my Nissan it's filled to the very brim with all my tennis coaching junk: rackets, balls, shoes, folding chairs, a pop-up, god knows what else. I put it all in the garage.

In goes the tire and I'm off. The tire store wasn't too busy and a half hour later I'm on my way home with my fixed tire. At least the rain had stopped.

I get back to the van and take the tire out of the trunk. Just then it starts to rain again as if on cue. After some wrestling with a filthy, slippery tire, it finally goes on. Not sure why it was so hard. Done.

I hop in the van and turn the key. Er-er-er. Nothing. The van hadn't been driven in damn near forever plus I'd left the flashers on because I was still partially in the street. I walk back to the house, get the Nissan, and jumpstart the van.

I put the Nissan away and drove the van to the bank to charge it up. At least that errand got done. When I got home I cracked a beer. I earned it.

Hmmm........... are we related?:rolleyes:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I look forward to a much better year for us all. If anything at all comes from this it’s resilience. It is something that I have observed of many this year. It is the one thing I feel we can hang our hat on. So here’s to 2021 may you bring us good fortune, grant us the ability to excel in our endeavors, and the wisdom not to take it to far.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
There was a line from a Vietnam movie I've recalled many times this past year - "always the hard way". Christmas our and a nephew's dog both spent several hours at the emergency vet's. One has an idiopathic vestibular syndrome - imagine constant vertigo, the other pretty harsh diabetes. We were taking ours home and stopped to get a bite to eat at her former mother in law's. I was carrying the dog down the step and twice had a bad feeling but no option so I plogged on. Listen to those inside voices! The new massive lump on the floor at the bottom of the steps was me - but I did NOT hurt the dog! At the emergency room they said I hadn't broken anything and sent me home - so badly swollen and sore I could barely move on crutches on the ice. In my t shirt, jeans, and one sock out into 14 degrees to wait on my ride. My friend's daughter and her fiance came and took me home. About 1/4 mile from home there was one last hill still covered with ice and snow. At the bottom maybe 15 feet from the stop sign was a black jeep with no lights on abandoned in the lane of travel. Yep. So as he steered to go around the jeep he barely touched brakes so we sledded right into it at maybe 10+ miles an hour. New jolts and ouches on an already battered me. One explorer totaled. No real injuries thankfully. Then on the 28th the ortho found one and possibly two fractures and removed 4 50cc syringes of blood off my knee - the one I can now kinda bend it again, and yesterday I had an mri. Never tell the universe you got it - the universe loves a challenge! It ALL could be so much worse and it is hard to stay in perspective. I needed a ride in the booboo buggy to the er. I got it. Can't say much about the er visit - but I was able to be there. Were I dying they might have tried to help. After refusing xrays of the uninjured leg and chest xrays (no clue) they gave me a tetanus shot - no wraps no splint but did sell me a pair of crutches. lol As I was in the bitter cold all I could think about were the people dressed just as poorly but with no warm place to go, no way to get there if they had one, and no one to help them if they needed. Both dogs got care even on a blessed holiday. I had a warm delicious meal. I was even with a few people and people that care and love me. SO in all honesty - what did I have to complain about?? truly? Not so much. Course that doesn't stop us from being inconvenienced, irritated, sore, in pain, worried and all the human things we feel but I say it to keep myself in perspective - how many people would love to have my problems??

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS