Good beginner chisels?

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I am looking into entering the hand tool world very slowly and as the need arises due to time and cost constraints. At the moment my hand tool collection is nonexistent. I want to start with chisels as they are my current need and one of the few items I can’t replace with a power tool. I would prefer to get mid-quality chisels one at a time as I am able instead of a set due to price.

I was looking into the Irwin Blue Chip bevel edge chisels as they seem to be decent quality without breaking the bank at around $20/chisel.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Irwin Blue Chip Chisels

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Narex are a good value for the money. I would use them if I didn’t have better.
The next step up is Stanley Sweetheart for about $30 each.

I would stay away from the plastic handles, top heavy, heavy in the hand, and nearly impossible to rehandle. Most hand tool woodworker’s don’t like them. Rough carpenters and mechanics love them.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I would stay away from the plastic handles, top heavy, heavy in the hand, and nearly impossible to rehandle. Most hand tool woodworker’s don’t like them. Rough carpenters and mechanics love them.

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
On the Narex, be sure you get the fractional inch. It is easier to fit American materials.

Unless you prefer to work in metric…

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Mike is correct. Be wary of the size.

Lee Valley sells the Narex in true imperial sizes. I highly recommend both Narex and Lee Valley.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
All good advice from those above. I found this video informative for chisel selection. He also did some testing for plane irons.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the new Stanley sweet heart chisels they are fine chisels.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Narex and or Sweetheart will take you to prolevel all day long. THe Sweethearts imho have a better handle, but both cut equally well and hold and edge.

bbrown

Bill
User
I like the Irwin Blue Chips. I have been making high end furniture for 40 years and still have my first set. You should be able to get a set of 4 for about $55.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Fine Woodworking did a review a few years back and the Blue Chips did not doo well. I have older yellow handle Marples and they seem fine once tuned up. The time and effort to tune up makes the Narlex look like a bargain. I picked up a 1/2 Narlex Rictor to compare to my Marples and when tuned, not much difference, but the Narlex holds it's edge longer. You pay for it coming flat and polished, only needing a strop to use. Cheaper chisels can take hours on the bench to get ready to use the first time. Can't comment on how hard it is to sharpen, as I have only needed to strop it a couple of times. I may buy a 3/4 as those are the two I grab most often and use the Marples for "ugly" stuff.

Good to hear the Sweethearts are good, as the Sweetheart planes are not.

Never felt uncomfortable with either my Yellow Marples or the yellow handle morticing set. Maybe it is because I am used to them and just now getting a step up. The morticing set seem a bit fragile to me. May be my skill and not the tool.

Note: My Marples are from the mid 70's. I believe their quality has gone down a bunch, so my old ones are not a good recommendation to new ones. They were highly respected in their time, but time passes. Bill's may be in the same category.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for all of the good information. Just ordered Narex 1/2” and 3/4” chisels from Lee Valley for about $14 each. Looks like I got the last 1/2” that they had. Next purchase will be a strop followed with plenty of YouTube to figure out how to keep them sharp.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found green compound on a bit of MDF to be the best strop fir me. Leather is too compressible and rounds the edge. Some want that. I find it is a disaster when the back gets a small scratch, now you need to do far more work. Mush easier if it stays flat to the edge.

Many many different sharpening methods. The best is the one that works for you. I have tried about everything under the sun ( lots of wasted money) And came down to the Veritas jig set and DMT stones, extra course through extra extra fine and strop. Scary works well, but you go through a lot of paper. Shapron stones are the other most preferred method. Some use machines, some oil stones, some old soft Japanese stones and on and on. I am only keeping my Worksharp as it helps with carving gouges. At least for now. Makita wet wheel may go. Even my M-power jig may go as the Veritas jigs work so well.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I was given a set of Marples. They were made in England. I then needed to add 2 or 3 more sizes. Marples was bought by Irwin. Those were made in China. NOT THE SAME! I now buy Norex. These are very good tools.

Pop

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes, mine are all made in Sheffield, so my good luck with them does not apply to what you can buy now.
I am sold on Narlex Richter. Not just as they are sharp and hold it, but because they don't take several hours to get ready to use. I have better things to do than spend a couple hours flattening the back.

I was very suppressed at some of the ratings from Wood by Wright. ( He does seem to know his edges) I thought two cherries were good tools. I am surprised how bad the steel is in the HF tools. Bad grinds etc. I expect, not not bad steel.

mgreene93

Mark
Corporate Member
You could always try looking at flea markets/yard sales for old chisels in need of a little cleanup.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS