Golf trip rained out

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
My Dad and I had planned to go up in the mountains to play golf during my fall break. The weather was crummy and we canceled our trip. So, I had four days off with nothing planned. I decided to paint our bathroom. After I painted the bathroom, everything else looked terrible. So, I made a trip to the BORG and bought a new vanity top, faucet, and floor.. The new vanity top made the vanity cabinet look terrible - it was "custom made" out of plywood. I had some scrap oak pieces and I made a face frame (my first). I was pleased that I was able to knock it out really fast and I made no mistakes! I used the Kreg Pocket Screw Jig. I had a couple of pieces of oak left over from the beedroom project. I used it to make the side panel. I used the old drawer boxes and made new drawer fronts. All I have to do now is make a door to go under the sink. There was a false drawer in the old vanity. But, I'd rather have a large door. Eventually, I will paint the drawer boxes so they won't look so bad. I have two coats of Waterlox on it and intend to put on several more.

I have to put the new floor down (self stick vinyl tile) and I will be done. I have never removed a toilet before but, it doesn't seem too bad from what I have read.

Thanks for looking.

693836562_DVQdD-XL.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Golf Trip - Rained Out

Looks good, looks very good!

Face frames with pocket holes are a sweet thing.

Toilets aren't too bad to remove and reinstall. Get a new wax seal and new set of mounting bolts and you should be set.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Looks good, looks very good!

Face frames with pocket holes are a sweet thing.

Toilets aren't too bad to remove and reinstall. Get a new wax seal and new set of mounting bolts and you should be set.

+1 x 10 to the however many fingers you have power on both the last two points - they aren't bad and GET A NEW WAX SEAL. OOPS - WAS I SHOUTING??? Seriously, the wax rings are cheap and they are not rubber. If you pull the toilet and wipe the floor (**** right I did) before you kneel on it, you have removed enough wax to prevent the old ring from making a perfect seal when you put the toilet back down. They are cheap, buy a couple in case you have to seal twice.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

+2 on the seals & bolts.
Also look at your water supply line. If it's plastic or metal, get a new flexible braided metal jacketed line. Be sure to get one long enough to make a loop before it gets to the tank and be sure it's for the proper size stop you have, 3/8" or 1/2" - and for a toilet - sinks use a different thread on hookup.
Also, be sure you seal that self stick floor with wax or an acrylic floor coat. 'Soft' tile floors are notorious for retaining water or whatever liquid might be spilled on them around a toilet...........:eek:
A sponge & rubber or nitrile gloves goes a long way towards getting all the water out of the bowl & tank for handling. Look at your float & clapper valve while you have it out of service. The clapper valve is notorious for wasting water as it deteriorates with time and causes leakage.
Oh, and while you're doing all this work, NC State Plumbing Code requires you to wear your pants so that you show at least 3" of butt crack.
It's the law.:rotflm::rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Moved this tread to the DIY Home Improvement forum.

Looks like it was time well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors