Glue REPAIR HELP - breadboard with inlay strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankson

New User
Jeff
I built a kitchen table (purple heart top w/ breadboard & a hard maple base) in 2005. The table although wearing well has two issues I'd appreciate suggestions to resolve.

1. When I built the table, I routered a small channel along the inner edge of the breadboard and rolled/glued in an inlay strip. The strip at one end of the table has a 1" section that is starting to lift on the inner edge (this area is approx 2" from end of the breadboard). It appears that with a fine tip injector I could place a few drops of glue or a bonding agent. My question, is there a glue best suited to handling this type of repair? Also, any suggestions on how to apply, clamp, set would be appreciated.

2. I rubbed in multiple coats of a blend to seal the table back in 2005 (Boiled Linseed Oil, turpentine, &?) there is no varnish or poly on the table. I've maintained it by rubbing on neutral wax with 0000 steel wool and then buffing with a soft cloth. I didn't do a great job of periodically waxing/buffing and the surface needs to be re-done. Any suggestions on how to remove wax build-up so that I can then redo sealer? I do not wish to have a poly look on this table even though it is used daily.

thank you, Jeff

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not have any advice to offer on regluing the inlay however way back in ancient times when I sold body shop supplies we sold a product for removing wax and grease prior to repaint jobs. The stock number then was Ditzler (PPG) DX-440. Perhaps Tracy could chime in with a similar product. :wsmile:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
1. What kind of glue did you use?

2. Wax buildup is sort of a myth (according to Bob Flexner). Each application of wax dissolves the existing layers. If you have what appears to be a thick coat of wax, odds are its due to applying too much and not buffing it off in a timely fashion.

Mineral Spirits/Paint thinner is the solvent for most waxes. A rag and some/a lot of elbow grease can remove a wax finish.

Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would use a hypodermic needle to inject some thin CA, set a heavy weight on it for a couple hours (Just to be SURE).

Then heat a mixture of BLO, mineral spirits and wax in a double boiler, rub the table down with the hot mixture and buff.

But that's just me, I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else will have better advise. :dontknow:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally, I am preferential to epoxy for repairs. It is one of the few adhesives that adheres to itself. I am with Jim on the wax thing, and then would do as Mike suggests or topcoat with a hard finish like Poly.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

frankson

New User
Jeff
Thank you all for the ideas. I tried to source a fine tipped needle today but, have not had any luck thus far. When I built the table I used wood glue, do you think the CA Thin will bond OK?

I'll work the "de-waxing" idea. will let you know how it comes out.

thanks again, Jeff

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thank you all for the ideas. I tried to source a fine tipped needle today but, have not had any luck thus far. When I built the table I used wood glue, do you think the CA Thin will bond OK?

I'll work the "de-waxing" idea. will let you know how it comes out.

thanks again, Jeff
Thin CA should inject fine with an insulin syringe. Now, talking your pharmacist into giving you one may be interesting. Or perhaps you know someone who unfortunately has to use them.

chesterboyd

New User
chester
:gar-Bi
I built a kitchen table (purple heart top w/ breadboard & a hard maple base) in 2005. The table although wearing well has two issues I'd appreciate suggestions to resolve.

1. When I built the table, I routered a small channel along the inner edge of the breadboard and rolled/glued in an inlay strip. The strip at one end of the table has a 1" section that is starting to lift on the inner edge (this area is approx 2" from end of the breadboard). It appears that with a fine tip injector I could place a few drops of glue or a bonding agent. My question, is there a glue best suited to handling this type of repair? Also, any suggestions on how to apply, clamp, set would be appreciated.

2. I rubbed in multiple coats of a blend to seal the table back in 2005 (Boiled Linseed Oil, turpentine, &?) there is no varnish or poly on the table. I've maintained it by rubbing on neutral wax with 0000 steel wool and then buffing with a soft cloth. I didn't do a great job of periodically waxing/buffing and the surface needs to be re-done. Any suggestions on how to remove wax build-up so that I can then redo sealer? I do not wish to have a poly look on this table even though it is used daily.

thank you, Jeff

chesterboyd

New User
chester
I think the paint thinner for wax removal is good-----I have used it many times, and most any epoxy should hold.I just want to point out that this is a common problem with inlay, because there are two different types of wood and each has it's own swelling, shrinkage propeties.If you can maintain a unform humidity in the house, the wood wouldn't move much and then the problem can't occurr.I have a humidifier on the furnace and of course AC during the summer so wood movement is minimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS