Gloves in the Workshop? What works for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Three times for gloves in the workshop - 1) when handling rough lumber, 2) when using hand held sanders (vibration dampening gloves), 3) nitrite gloves for finishing.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Nitrile gloves are impervious to most common solvents whereas latex gloves are not. My group works with a lot of different carcinogenic compounds so we only purchase nitrile gloves in the laboratory. I use these at home as well when finishing.

No one mentioned other types of gloves. I have a couple of pairs of the Kevlar impregnated gloves for carving as well. I use these all the time for example when using a chisel, sharpening a plane iron, using a rasp, card scraper and cutting with a handsaw. For some reason my knuckles and fingers always seem to get cut, scraped etc. and rasps are torture on my hands. Since I started using these the pain level of small nicks etc. has decreased significantly. The only problem with these is that the fuzzy nature of them seems to hold sawdust and small shavings which can get annoying.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Kevlar or stainless steel mesh gloves are also used in meat processing plants for protection.

dwebb

New User
Drew
I use Mechanix for moving wood or general construction, nitrile for staining and I did break down and buy the anti-static gloves for using the ROS (they actually do help).

pviser

New User
paul
I always learn from reading about how other folks do things. Anyway, in this case, I use soft leather gloves when handling rough lumber. I don't use gloves when handling solvents and stains, but I realize that I should.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
When milling rough lumber - carpenters gloves I got from HD.

Finishing: nitrile gloves.

I'm not an advocate of using gloves for anything else.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
No one mentioned other types of gloves. I have a couple of pairs of the Kevlar impregnated gloves for carving as well. I use these all the time for example when using a chisel, sharpening a plane iron, using a rasp, card scraper and cutting with a handsaw. For some reason my knuckles and fingers always seem to get cut, scraped etc. and rasps are torture on my hands. Since I started using these the pain level of small nicks etc. has decreased significantly. The only problem with these is that the fuzzy nature of them seems to hold sawdust and small shavings which can get annoying.

These sound good! Which kevlar gloves are you using?

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I own two motorcycles and have about as many pairs of gloves as Imelda Marcos had shoes. Though I quit wearing half-finger gloves while ride years ago, because they don't provide much protection in a crash, they are really good gloves to wear in the shop. They are all good quality leather and they have gel padding in the palms. While they don't provide any protection for the parts of your fingers that are not covered in leather, they do protect the rest of your hand from abrasion and splinters. The gel padding makes it easier to handle tools and lumber without bruising your hands. Half-finger gloves, (sometimes called fingerless gloves), are a lot cooler than conventional gloves too. They are great shooting gloves too.

Pete

I was in HF for something a while back and noticed a large variety of "Mechanic's" "Tactical" "Coated" type gloves on display. I'm well aware of the safety issues of a glove or loose sleeves/shirt tails/etc getting caught in a spinning blade or power feeders and try not to wear them when using that kind of equipment...but... some of these modern gloves fit very tight and are pretty thin in the areas not usually in contact with workpieces...kind of like a second skin. I've seen Kevlar used in some of the gloves marketed to carvers to protect them from sharp knife blades. My wife uses one of these when using an Olfa style rotary cutter (after a trip to Urgent Care when we couldn't get the bleeding to stop).

So what are you using in the woodworking shop and/or general maintenance/garage type work? There are hundreds of similar gloves being marketed to this segment and I can't separate to good from the junk. TIA

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I wear blue nitrile when using chemicals.
I wear mechanix gloves when handling rough lumber (i.e. - Planer, Joiner, moving lumber and straightlining on the tablesaw)
I don't where gloves for any other power equipment in woodworking
I wear the black super thick gloves from HF when doing mechanical work
I don't carve, but I use a lot of chisels, no gloves.
I have tactical gloves, but I only used them when using ropes, wire and chains.
But in CT, I had to violate these rules for sake of frostbite. I used a lot of different gloves.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't wear gloves in the shop. I sometimes wear gloves moving block or brick but not wood. I get an occasional splinter but I can live with that. I also get some paper cut depth cuts from the edge of boards sometimes. I can live with these impacts. I don't want gloves getting into a tool and I think I have better control without the glooves. I wear my wedding ring, however. I can't imagine it getting into a tool without me already being in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors