glass thickness for cabinet door

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I am finishing some cabinets for new media room. I ordered the glass and just specified it was for cabinet doors and did not specify any thickness, thinking it would be 1/8" thick. Now I get ready to install the glass and see it is 3/16" thick. Just wondering if this will be too heavy for the 2" wide wood surround of the glass? My 1/4"X1/4" stays are now proud of the door as well. The doors are 16"X22". Any thoughts?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
16x22 shouldn't be so big that the extra thickness will add too much weight to be handled by the wood rails and styles. The glass will add rigidity and stability to the assembly. I would also have expected to receive 1/8" thick glass, but unless you want to return it you may want to rethink the stays. Perhaps make them wider with a 1/16" rabbit and overlap the wood somewhat. Either return the glass and ask for 1/8" replacement or find an ascetic way to compensate.

I don't think weight will be an issue, but I have only limited experience with glass inset doors. Someone else here may have more practical advice.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Your door is 16" x 22" exterior dimensions and the interior rabbets for the glass panel are 1/4" w x 1/4" deep. Correct?

The 3/16" thick glass is about 3.8 pounds.

http://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-weight-calculator.aspx

Route the rabbets a bit deeper in the frame to set the thicker glass.

Door1.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
not to steal the thread, but how about a picture frame?

How thick should the glass be in a 18 X 24 frame?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I favor plexi glass since back in the 80's one of my kids broke a curio cabinet glass panel - luckly he wasn't hurt. Every since then its either tempered or plexi glass for me. Now I have grand kids running all over the place and am thankful I made the decision long ago.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
If you wallet can stand it, LEXAN is great. But alas, my wallet cringes when I look at it.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your glass shop may have concluded you needed tempered glass and most shops will not temper less than 3/16

Skymaster

New User
Jack
3/16 is 1/16 LESS than the 1/4 depth. This is standard, both width and depth to assure NO pressure on the glass

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Phil said exactly what i was going to say. You probably paid a good bit for it to but is a saftey concern

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry, I had my head in the sand yesterday. My statement:

and the interior rabbets for the glass panel are 1/4" w x 1/4" deep.

The rabbets should be 3/8" d for 1/8" t glass and 1/4" x 1/4" standards so that all is flush on the back side. Your glass panels are 3/16" t so we're 1/16" proud. :eek:

Route the rabbets an additional 1/16" d and everything will be flush.

rabbet_revised.jpg

gritz

New User
Robert
Glass shops are under a huge burden of liabilities surrounding downstream glass usage. The public knows little of this, but if you ever get a chance to have a frank discussion with an owner, you will be amazed at their exposure. Most will ask you where the glass will be used and supply whatever meets the code or law in that instance. You likely received tempered glass. Look for the hook dimples at the two corners where it was hung as it was tempered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS