glass/plexiglass or something I haven't considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
I made a craft table for the wife. It's my second project.

Made out of plywood except for the pine to support the table top. The table top is plywood also,
but we don't think we want to have her use it like this.

We're thinking we need to put some kind of glass or plexiglass or something on top to keep it from getting dinged up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

dazart

New User
Steve
20180814_165304.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=86260

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Looks good man! Plexiglass or contact paper would be my thoughts for economical choices. Contact paper has the advantage of being replaceable when it gets scuffed up, and may be less noticeable than plexiglass.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
what about a thin sheet of white melamine? it's tough, bright, and can easily/inexpensively be replaced.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I see the sewing machine so I would suggest a gridded cutting mat. They can be machine cut to any size. Should cost about $3 to $4 per sq ft

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on the mat, Phil you took the words out of my mouth.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
For sewing there's the cardboard cutting mat which is too big to cover or a self healing cutting mat which though much more expensive would be a perfect top. And you can take it to your shop and cut veneer! I think that's what Phil was referring to.

dazart

New User
Steve
I like the cutting mat idea myself, but after showing her she's still set on plexiglass because she says it won't be just for sewing. I think the cutting mat will still be a good idea, but maybe on top of the glass when she's sewing?

We saw some options at one of the big box stores, but I don't like how the edges weren't beveled or rounded. I suppose I could probably do that myself with a router - but it wasn't that thick and I was worried it would brown or melt if I did.

I may search around to see if some local places are better.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the cutting mat idea myself, but after showing her she's still set on plexiglass because she says it won't be just for sewing. I think the cutting mat will still be a good idea, but maybe on top of the glass when she's sewing?

We saw some options at one of the big box stores, but I don't like how the edges weren't beveled or rounded. I suppose I could probably do that myself with a router - but it wasn't that thick and I was worried it would brown or melt if I did.

I may search around to see if some local places are better.

Steve, if you go with plexiglass or lexan and you can't find the exact size, I have a Bosch jigsaw and the necessary plastic cutting blades that won't burn or melt either material that you can borrow.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Talk with a local glass company and tell them what you need. Depending on the company, glass could be an affordable option. I recently had a mirror made by Rice Glass in Carrboro. Other than having to travel through Chapel Hill to get there, it was a great experience. They are super nice people who will do things in a hurry. They were recommended to me by a builder friend.

Futbalfantic

New User
Dan
Absolutely can get you a deal. But I would look into LDPE. Basically the same thing as a cutting mat but much cheaper for larger tables. Cutting mat just has another layer on the top. Key with using rotary cutters is light pressure and LDPE should hold up well and be a nice general top. Maybe even use it as an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS