Getting protective masks to those who need them most.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Hello all,
I know I'm not the only one who has a family member in healthcare. My wife currently works at several hospitals in the Raleigh area including UNC Rex, and Wake Med. As you've probably heard, there is an every increasing need for protective masks, N-95 rated, or even just plain dust masks, to protect those on the front lines. So, consider this a plea for help to protect those who offer us or our loved ones the critical care they may need in the weeks ahead. If anyone has ANY masks they can spare, I would be more than happy to swing by and pick them up from your porch and make sure they get into the hands of healthcare workers.

My name is Dan Crow. I live in downtown Raleigh. You're welcome to google my wife, "Dr. Amanda Crow, Raleigh" if you wish to verify. In any case, feel free to contact me via email at dan@dpcrow.com or 617.435.1507 if you have anything you can contribute. I greatly appreciate your time and consideration.

Be safe out there,
Dan

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife is in the same boat here in Raleigh. We are going to try and alternate my RZ mask tomorrow to try and fit her. I wear a large and she would most likely be a small or medium. So we are going to see if we can make that work. They are being told they don’t have enough supplies and will run out but have to treat the patients without them, even if they have the virus. Which means that puts her in jeopardy and puts our young kids in jeopardy too

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My daughter and her husband are both on the front lines up in Watertown, NY. Some worthless person stole all the mask the hospital had.
I am sending all the N95 masks that I have

God bless

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
My wife is a quilter, and sewing clubs are making cloth face masks. The fabric store has posted how-to video and selling kits. Everyone can help in this crisis.
Mike

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
My wife is in the same boat here in Raleigh. We are going to try and alternate my RZ mask tomorrow to try and fit her. I wear a large and she would most likely be a small or medium. So we are going to see if we can make that work. They are being told they don’t have enough supplies and will run out but have to treat the patients without them, even if they have the virus. Which means that puts her in jeopardy and puts our young kids in jeopardy too

Woodcraft in Raleigh has some RZ masks in stock when I was there Tuesday, I think they may have had the small or medium.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I read where the biggest benefit of wearing a face mask is it keeps you from touching your face; the biggest preventative is hand washing. Got another message from a friend of mine in MS, that the virus is spreading by hand contact with gas pump handles. Wear disposable gloves! They are abundant and cheap at Walmart and Harbor Freight, to name a couple of places.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to all. Dan's wife, Amanda Crow, is an anesthesiologist. There are simple dust masks and N95 rated surgical masks. I think that a dust mask is not what's needed by healthcare workers.

agree with you completely. But the email my wife got yesterday from the hospital was to wear a bandanna or scarf when they run out. So I hope a wood working mask would offer more protection then a bandanna. The n95 would be perfect but they only have enough to last this week and can’t get resupplied

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm glad I bought a mask from Klingspors some time ago, with canisters for sawdust and paint vapors. That should offer good protection. My wife just made up 2 plastic bags of the blue disposable gloves, one for the car and one for the truck. We may still get the virus, but being as cautious as possible should help a lot. I'm hearing some advice about trusting God to protect us, and I do with all my heart--but God also gave us the ability to reason and take precautions. Just as you would not walk directly into the path of fast-moving traffic on a busy highway, we can take means to provide for ourselves through prevention and provide for our sustenance in the future.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Got an email today from HF that they are donating their entire stock of both masks and gloves to local hospitals that have 24 hour emergency rooms. Contact you local HF for details and info.

Johnson

New User
AD
I'm a Sergeant with Raleigh PD. Thankfully, I have my own 3M Respirator from my garage, but the shortage of N95 masks is also affecting first responders. Most do not have an N95 mask and those that do only have one and are reusing it. Please consider donating surplus dust masks and N95 masks to the hospitals.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
To clarify the harbor freight offering, it appears they have a specific link that hospital folks authorized to order should use, the emailed instructions explicitly state to not contact the local store (copies from email):

“If you work at a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in need of these items, please ask the office in charge of procurement at your hospital to click here so they can provide us with the information we’ll need to determine if we can make a donation. If you’re not with a hospital, but would like to give us the name of a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in your community that might need our help, please email us at hospitalhelp@harborfreight.com, identify the hospital’s city and state in the subject line, and our team will follow-up.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS AT YOUR LOCAL STORE OR OUR CALL CENTER AND PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HOSPITALS—THEY’RE BUSY HELPING THEIR PATIENTS.”

DTBoss

New User
Dan
[/QUOTE]
Thanks to all. Dan's wife, Amanda Crow, is an anesthesiologist. There are simple dust masks and N95 rated surgical masks. I think that a dust mask is not what's needed by healthcare workers.

Hi Jeff,
Believe it or not, even the simple dust masks will help in the hospital setting these days. When worn by the patient, they work to limit the spread of infectious droplets out into the air. For the doctors, they are certainly better than nothing, which is unfortunately a reality we have to be prepared for.

I'll add to this, there is also a growing need for simple face shields (but again, in the absence of the simple ones, more heavy duty ones (as a woodturner would use) will work as well. These face shields not only protect the eyes of the worker, the also allow their facemask to be used more than once. The shields can also be cleaned and reused. I'm working sourcing some thin acrylic to see if I can make some of these at home. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.16.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.16.27 PM.png
    696.5 KB · Views: 153

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
The RZ masks will work and are at least N-95. You'll get about 60 hours of use of a filter in a clean environment.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Went to look for a spare mask to donate and found the empty bubble package they came in. Looks like I'll be reusing my last mask.

Roy G

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Many hospitals are taking disposable gloves. Type does not matter. If you don't want to donate to a hospital give them to a food bank. I run a food bank out of my church and I will take any disposal gloves or masks you can spare.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS