Gerstner 2610 Reproduction - Finish opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hopefully, you've seen my posts on the reproduction Gerstner 2610 tool chest project I'm working on. Today, I did a test block of my 3 final choices for the base finish:

IMG_06772.JPG

On the left, Golden Pecan stain
In the center, Early American stain
On the right, Watco Clear Danish Oil

I'm leaning to the Danish Oil, I like to celebrate the wood, and this QSRO certainly has alot of character, showing both ray-fleck and curl. The Golden Pecan stain and the Danish Oil both give about the same color tone, but I think the oil makes the ray fleck and curl "pop" better. The Early American seems to over-emphasize the grain pores while also masking the ray fleck to some extent.

I value ya'lls opinion, so what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hopefully, you've seen my posts on the reproduction Gerstner 2610 tool chest project I'm working on. Today, I did a test block of my 3 final choices for the base finish:

IMG_06772.JPG

On the left, Golden Pecan stain
In the center, Early American stain
On the right, Watco Clear Danish Oil

I'm leaning to the Danish Oil, I like to celebrate the wood, and this QSRO certainly has alot of character, showing both ray-fleck and curl. The Golden Pecan stain and the Danish Oil both give about the same color tone, but I think the oil makes the ray fleck and curl "pop" better. The Early American seems to over-emphasize the grain pores while also masking the ray fleck to some extent.

I value ya'lls opinion, so what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

Chris, your tool chest looks outstanding! Gorgeous lumber and craftsmanship.

I too prefer the natural oil; however when working with quartersawn red oak if you want to change the color it's best to use a dye instead of a stain. You can add the dye directly into an oil (such as tung oil) and the dye will not accumulate in the pores to the same extent as a pigmented stain.

Scott

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Chris I would go with Scott's advice. Looking at your earlier photos the center drawers are noticeably darker than the surrounding drawers and face wood.

IMG_06733.jpg

To match the woods, if you want to do that, I would begin with anniline dyes and not oil stain. Once you put any of the oils on the wood, you are limited on matching and keeping it light.

If you really like the oil, use it after dye work.

Another point to keep in mind: if you put oil on the inside, it will smell of oil for years. There again, you might like the smell - I sure don't like that smell in a closed box.

Good Luck
Dan

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Any other suggestions?

Have you considered Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish instead of the Watco Danish Oil? It's a tung oil based wiping varnish that'll provide improved durability.

Whichever you choose I like the natural look of the red oak without dyes or stains.

Rick M

New User
Rick
The tool chest is looking great. I kinda wish you guys would post updates all in the same thread so it would be easier to keep track. I don't look at every new thing posted. Hopefully I will be building one soon and do as well. Your joinery on those drawers is tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS