Generic Kreg Screws???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
So I just bought the Kreg Master System. Any experience with buying generic screws and if so where can I find them? I saw some on ebay but you never know what you get. Any suggestions? Are generics near as good? Thanks for any input.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I've never purchased generics. But you can purchase them in bulk at Woodcraft, Klingspor's and Amazon (Amazon being a tad cheaper than the first two). The smaller 1 1/4" screws come in boxes of 100, 1000, and 5000.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I've never purchased generics. But you can purchase them in bulk at Woodcraft, Klingspor's and Amazon (Amazon being a tad cheaper than the first two). The smaller 1 1/4" screws come in boxes of 100, 1000, and 5000.

I also normally buy my Kreg screw in bulk packages of 500 (or 250 for the 2" and larger) screws. I keep on hand anywhere from 500-2000 of each size and type of screw Kreg carries. I mostly purchase from Woodcraft (Greenville, SC) but Lowes carries a couple of common sizes and Amazon can fill in any blanks.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am a big fan of McFeely's too; $1 shipping does not hurt either.

I have bought a few of their combo packs and have been very happy with the quality.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I wouldn't tempt success by using a cheap screw. Just think how hard it would be to recover from a snapped shank. McFeely and Kreg don't cost much more than BORG screws anyway. Get on McFeely's email list and buy lots when the free shipping deals occur.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
the difference between the cheap no-name screw and a McFeely's quality screw is about 1.3 cents. How many screws are you going to use in a project? 50? So you're talking about an extra 65 cents for peace of mind. That's cheap insurance in my book.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another vote for McFeeley's. One of the woodworking magazines did a comparison of the quality of screws from different sources and McF was highly rated. Think it might have been Pop WW, but not sure. They weren't necessarily comparing pocket-hole screws but cabinet screws in general.

- Ken.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I order from McFeeley's or, if I'm in a hurry, I pick up some Kreg screws at a big box store. I just took advantage of the Sears clearance to stock up on 1 inch and 1.5 inch screws (Kreg).

For the coarse screws, for softwood and sheet goods, I think the washer head screw is important. For the fine thread screws for hardwood, I don't think you need it.

Jim

bluthart

New User
Brian
Very good point Dan. By the way... you ever use all of that sapele? I just had some resawed into bookatched pieces, including a monster 15"Wx13'x6/4 piece. Hope all is well!

the difference between the cheap no-name screw and a McFeely's quality screw is about 1.3 cents. How many screws are you going to use in a project? 50? So you're talking about an extra 65 cents for peace of mind. That's cheap insurance in my book.

alachua1947

New User
Donald
The only problem with Mcfeelys is the screws are not made in the USA. I don't mind a few cents more to keep jobs in the USA.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm with you:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS