General Instruments Moisture Meter - Lowes $9.98 - Pin Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've been meaning to buy a meter for years, but never seem to get around to it. At this price, I couldn't resist...though I'm a bit curious to see how accurate it is.

So I just ordered one for pickup at my local store and within about 10 minutes they called to let me know it was at the customer service desk ready for pickup. Nice touch.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I saw this at my local Lowe's yesterday, but didn't buy it. Does ANYONE have any experience w/ this particular meter? $10 is a good price, IF the meter is worth it. :dontknow:

Bill

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I actually got one of these as a Christmas gift last year and finally got around to putting batteries a month or so ago. I've not used it much other than to verify that it worked. I tested it on some Cypress that's been in my garshop for a while now and the reading seemed to be in line with what I expected it to be. I don't have any other meter to compare it to so I can't attest to it's "accuracy" as compared to a more expensive unit. I'd be interesting in a side by side comparison if someone gets a chance for direct comparisons.

Brian.

RayH

New User
Ray
Its 19.98 online here in Durham.

Try searching on "moisture meter" That gets me the $9.98 price. However, if I search on item number 78059 it gets me the $19.98 price. I choose "moisture meter.":eusa_danc

This is with the "store locater" set to Lowes of South Durham.

Must be more of that magic computer stuff (MCS).:wsmile:

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
I live between Greensboro and Kernersville. The prices online show $19.98 at Kernersville, and $9.98 at Greensboro. :dontknow:

.bob

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
but isn't the accuracy of this unit listed at +/- 3% ????? It's probably ok for finding a leak, but that's about it. does it have a conversion for hardwoods, softwoods and drywall? certainly the resistances are different between these materials at different mc's?
for someone who has this unit, how consistent are the readings day to day?

manfre

New User
Manfre
The lowes in Cary off walnut had 3 left when I dropped in this morning.

The meter has a toggle to switch between wood and building material. Each setting has a different humidity range. A store bought wood baby gate that has been in my house for many months just read 6.3%.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
wouldn't a more relevant test range fall within 9-14% EMC? isn't the resistance curve asymptotic as mc approaches 6% for wood?

manfre

New User
Manfre
wouldn't a more relevant test range fall within 9-14% EMC? isn't the resistance curve asymptotic as mc approaches 6% for wood?
No clue. For $10, I'll be thrilled if it gives readings that are consistent, even if not entirely accurate.

jimwill48

James
Picked up one of the General Moisture Meters that Lowes had on sale. Tested it against a friends expensive one. The General reads with in 1.5% of the $200.00 unit, close enough for me at $10.00...by the way bought the last one in Mooresville stores.

James

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The lowes in Cary off walnut had 3 left when I dropped in this morning.
After I went by at lunch, they only had one left. I know NOTHING! Last month, I bought the infa red thermometer for $19.98. It's a "fun tool" to have. With a coupon, HF will sell you one for $29.99

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Lowes in Salisbury had three this morning. They now have two. The shelf price read 29.98 but rang up for $9.98. If anyone wants one and your local store is out I will try to pick one of those up and get it to you. Let me know soon.

Last edited:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I picked my up after lunch and tried it out. It reported 5.5-8% on oak, maple and cherry that's been in my shop for years. For reference my shop is pretty steady 60-70 degrees year round and is currently at 60% humidity, according to the Woodcraft wall clock. The dehumidifier has been running a lot lately.

Two batches of white oak, acquired more recently from different suppliers measured at 6-7% and 8-9%.

I went outside to my firewood rack to check some red oak that had been standing dead for about two years, fell over this winter and I cut up in March. It's on a rack that keeps it off the ground and there is a small plastic tarp over the top layer. The meter measured those at ~12% at the center of the larger pieces (~16" dia).

Some 6" dia sweetgum logs that I felled live in January and have been laying on the ground uncovered reported about 20%.

I don't have anything to compare these measurements to...so I don't know how good/bad this is. It'd be nice to have another meter to compare it to...but then I wouldn't need this one :> I'm going to pick a few pieces in my shop and test them repeatedly over the next few weeks to see how consistent the readings are.

I did find a few pieces of wood that it didn't want to measure at all. There was one particular piece of walnut that it refused to report a single measurement after maybe 10 attempts. Strange. Similar result with Ipe and difficult to get a measurement on padauk. Maybe it's my technique:dontknow:

Chris

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I did find a few pieces of wood that it didn't want to measure at all. There was one particular piece of walnut that it refused to report a single measurement after maybe 10 attempts. Strange. Similar result with Ipe and difficult to get a measurement on padauk. Maybe it's my technique:dontknow:
I had a Bradford Pear fall down in a storm a few years back (but then they go down in a stiff breeze). I saved the trunk, such as it was, to see if it was suitable for making little things out of. It isn't....way too much movement and checking...which is why they fall down I guess.

Anyway, I had a few pieces still lying around and they wouldn't register on the GI meter either. Then I tried the endgrain and voila, it registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS