General Instruments Moisture Meter - Lowes $9.98 - Pin Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
I bought one on Friday. It was DOA. It's going back on my next trip to Lowes.

Pete

FWIW I was convinced mine was also DOA. Then I found the fine print that said to hold the power button down for about 3 seconds :embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Lowes in Concord on Hwy 29 has a bunch (~15 of each) of the Moisture Meters and Thermometers priced at $9.98 ea. in a cardboard display next to the Window order desk area in the back. The rack in the tool section is empty. May want to look there in your Lowes if the tool section is empty.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
For 10 bucks, I think that is a real value. It would be an enormously valuable tool, due to it's pocket size, and price, for getting an idea of MC when buying or selling lumber. I have a moister meter that cost far more than that, and I'll bet, isn't as accurate. Electronic gadgets have vastly improved, while declining in price. This could be a "diamond in the rough" tool.:wsmile:

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
FWIW I was convinced mine was also DOA. Then I found the fine print that said to hold the power button down for about 3 seconds :embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

I did that; it was still dead. The replacement that I picked up today works fine.

Pete

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I ordered one online and will be picking it up here in Carol Stream, IL... Thanks for the heads up.....:icon_thum

GeorgeM

New User
George
Re: General Instruments Moisture Meter - Lowe's $9.98 - Pin Type

I ordered one on line and picked it up an hour later at the Spartanburg, SC Lowe's. They had 20 left in stock.

In the checks I made with it seem to be very close in readings to my more expensive meter.

Have a Blessed day.
George

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
got the last temp checker in lumberton n.c lowes today still 2 more moisture metres left . a great deal both work great.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Ask if they don't have them in the tools section. I found mine in the back by the windows.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
got the last temp checker in lumberton n.c lowes today still 2 more moisture metres left . a great deal both work great.
I mentioned the infrared temperature sensor to my wife and she said, "I want one of those!" On Monday I went back to the store in Mebane where I had picked up the moisture meter, but of course they were all gone. I had to run an errand in Durham and got the last one on display. What a fun toy! She has a more practical use for it---she watches the cooking shows and some of the chefs use devices like it to determine if something has reached the proper cooking temperature. I found out that the bottle of Fosters I pulled out of the fridge was 44 degrees.

:eek:ccasion1

Last edited:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
They Have them on sale here in Utah. Fully stocked it looked like of the moister meter and infrared temperature sensor.

I also asked to the Military discount and got a $1 off the meter for $8.98....I will test it against my moisture meter from Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sully

New User
jay
I picked up one of the moisture meters today. I had already stumbled across the infrared thermometer a couple of weeks ago. The tag on the shelf for the moisture meter read $19.98 but it rang up as $9.98. :eusa_danc Anyway, I already have two other moisture meters -- a high dollar ExTech model that stays in the shop and a cheapo from PSI that I can throw in the truck. I'll probably keep the General down at the farm. I did a little testing to see how it compared to my other moisture meter. This test was far from exhaustive but suggests that the General measures a little on the low end but is not too bad especially considering the price.

$0.02
J

moisture_meter2.jpg

It's probably worth noting that for the case of the Ash board (which is very hard) I could not insert the pins of the General model as far as that of the ExTech. All the other species were "soft" enough for me to fully bury the pins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS