Gas heaters half off at Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Was in Cary and Garner (Hwy 70) Lowes on Friday. They are clearancing seasonal heating devices - half off. I have one of the infa-red plaque heaters in my shop and love it. They have both 18,000 BTU and 30,000 heaters. I have the 30K in my shop. Both have a thermostat built in. Smaller unit says heats up to 600 square feet, and larger one does 1000 square feet. Original price on smaller was $198, and larger was $267. These heaters come in either natural gas, or propane. Cary store has more natural gas ones, while Garner store has more propane units. We also have one of the 30K units in our addition for emergency heat. A twenty pound bottle of propane last me about three weeks in the shop. With natural, you would have to run a gas line. This may be better done by a plumber. With the propane, you could use a flex line and regulator, along with a propane tank. Regulator and flex line can be bought at Agri-Supply. But Lowes may be cheaper due to seasonal merchandise clearance.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I picked up a 27000 BTU kerosene heater yesterday at Apex Lowes for $85. Reduced from $139. Not a bad deal, 'til they rang up a 5 gallon pail of kerosene at $33!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Worked out to just under $7/ gallon. I found out later that I could have pumped some at about $3.20/gallon just down the road at Hwy55 and Salem street!!!!! I'll know better next time!

The heater warmed up the garage nicely this morning, though!

Wayne

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I can't stand the smell of either kerosene, or #2 diesel heaters. With the gas heaters there is very little smell. Plus, no pouring and spills.

KC7CN

New User
Don
I can't stand the smell of either kerosene, or #2 diesel heaters. With the gas heaters there is very little smell. Plus, no pouring and spills.

I have Kerosene heaters, and don't like them for the same reason. FWIW, you can buy perfume (for lack of better word) additive at Lowe's, specifically designed to be used with Kerosene heaters. Cost about $3.00 It helps a, but not enough! You can also buy synthetic Kerosene, that does not smell as bad, but it cost 2-3 times more.

With the cost of Kerosene and electric about the same, I only use the electric now. Save the Kerosene for emergency when the power goes out.

Don

Nativespec

New User
David
I think I will just tough it out. I have to keep the garage door open if I want to smoke cigars (and I do). I had to use my paint stripper gun to heat up a couple of small glue ups and I wait for warmer days to do bigger glue ups.

David

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I got one of the Blue Flame 35000 btu wall units at the sale. Already have it hooked up to my 2 100lb tanks. Thermostatic controlled. Seems to do a good job so far. I would have rather had a plaque type, but none was available. Heat the shop up in minutes with a Redi-Heater 30-55000btu hot dog style, that I also bought on sale at lowes. It was only 25% off though. Once the shop is warm the wall heater keeps it warm. I only try to keep it around 60 degrees. Just didn't have enough juice to run a big electric heater, which was what I really wanted. Gonna have to do some rewiring. 2 machines running at same time on same circuit and sometimes the breaker trips. And I need some 220. But, I'm warm for now with only an investment of a little over $200 total.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
Do these propane heaters require ventilation and/or have much smell? I bought on the portable Mr Buddy Heater a few years ago and hooked it up to a 20lb tank and I noticed quite a smell. The heater is advertised for indoor use but the manual states to use in a well ventilated area. I don't use the heater due to the smell and the fact it takes quite a while to make a difference in my shop/garage. I'm wondering if these heaters are much better?

Shayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
What you can smell won't kill you. What you can't smell will. With any flame type heaters make sure the shop is equiped with a carbon monoxide detected. Digital alarrms cost under $50. Regular alarms under $25.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The wall mounted gas heaters have a built in low oxygen sensor. Shuts them off in case of low levels of oxygen. But a CO-2 alarm isn't a bad idea. The plaque heaters are the better of the two types, because if you can see it, you can feel it. All heaters produce some smell. If you are sensitive to smells (my wife is) then you will notice it upon entering the shop. After a few moments, you seem to no longer notice the slight smell.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bruce - great observation re the heater prices! I picked up a 30K BTU "mr heater" infrared propane tank heater at the Apex Lowes for about $89.00 earlier today. Sure made an improvement inside the old farmhouse remodeling project!

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, You might want to snag one of the propane plaque heaters to put in farm house. Just in case the power goes out in an ice storm. Or just to warm your backside after being out on a day like today. The weather this week is what we normally have the week of the Farm Show.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
CO detectors are a good idea especially if your shop is in home basement. They are now required by NC Building Code on any home with a combustible heat source. What they DON'T make clear is where to mount them. Most of the people I talk with recommend they be mounted in the lower half of the room instead of at the ceiling like a smoke detector. You guys hear anything different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors