Garage partition - Looking for ideas & help

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I came across a couple of different types of curtain materials. Not sure what way to go. Do I really need fire retardant or can I safely get away with non? I will not do anything metal related, no welding, not cutting metal, not using anything with gas, etc. I'll be strictly doing woodworking.
Side note: I have 4 fire extinguishers in the garage, just in case.

For $200+, I see a fire retardant curtain: 10'x20'? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LKNQQTS

It looks pretty beefy, at 24mil, too.

Another route $40/each: (2) 10'x12' (non-fire)

Thanks again.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Here are some picture of my partition. The idea was if anything was to come off the lathe it wouldn’t it my vehicles. Haven’t had to test it yet and I hope to never have to.
View attachment 202264

I am rethinking the ceiling track. Instead of the drawing I did, in my original post, I am thinking on one side of the ceiling conduit (for the electrical) go straight from the 1 side of the garage, which would be a straight shot (about 16'). Then on the other side of the ceiling conduit, run a straight shot of 4', then 90 degree bend & run 4' more, then finish with another 90 degree bend & run 2' to the wall.

To "seal" the 2 pieces/curtains, I would probably use this (velcro): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07STLY5BB/?th=1

Slap that on the seams, then connect. That should give a nice "air-tight" seal.

For those 90 degree bends, in your application, what did you use/buy?

Thanks

mikeh74

New User
Mike
I am rethinking the ceiling track. Instead of the drawing I did, in my original post, I am thinking on one side of the ceiling conduit (for the electrical) go straight from the 1 side of the garage, which would be a straight shot (about 16'). Then on the other side of the ceiling conduit, run a straight shot of 4', then 90 degree bend & run 4' more, then finish with another 90 degree bend & run 2' to the wall.

To "seal" the 2 pieces/curtains, I would probably use this (velcro): Amazon.com: 27Ft x 1 Inch Self Adhesive Hook Loop Strips, Heavy Duty Strong Back Sticky Fastening Tape, Nylon Fabric Fastener Mounting Tape for Sewing, Crafting, DIY- Indoor or Outdoor Use (White)

Slap that on the seams, then connect. That should give a nice "air-tight" seal.

For those 90 degree bends, in your application, what did you use/buy?

Thanks

Have you considered magnets instead of Velcro? May be easier to open and close.

Mike

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Have you considered magnets instead of Velcro? May be easier to open and close.

Mike

Mike,

Yes, but thank you for the suggestion.

Not sure if there is a "long" magnet, maybe 6"+ long and about 1" wide, but that might be an option. I'm open to whatever works, seals the gap (not permanently) between the 2 curtains 100% or 99.99%, as well as allows me to "easily" disconnect/separate the two.

Rory

RickR

Rick
Senior User
You can buy flexible magnet strip in roll form with or without adhesive backing at the big box stores. Usually 1/2" wide by up to 10 ft long.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS