Game table project

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks.
I made all my own and inlayed it/fit it all together in thier frames a bit thick,

How did you make them? They're 8 point stars made from 2 different wood species so the wood has to be cut to size and glued together. How thick were they before you glued them in and Donn sanded them?

Gotcha, a traditional swing-arm beneath the table wing for support and fastened to the table apron at each end with a hinge and stop block.

Jeff, I made all my own and inlayed it/fit it all together in thier frames a bit thick, then Donn ran them thru his drum sander to get them all even. Here is a couple of pics how the table wings are held

View attachment 185601
View attachment 185602
Just a small arm on hinges that fold out.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks.
I made all my own and inlayed it/fit it all together in thier frames a bit thick,

How did you make them? They're 8 point stars made from 2 different wood species so the wood has to be cut to size and glued together. How thick were they before you glued them in and Donn sanded them?

Gotcha, a traditional swing-arm beneath the table wing for support and fastened to the table apron at each end with a hinge and stop block.

i did the stars after watching a YouTube showing how he used a jig on the bandsaw to make the parts. I have a couple pics

I think they were about 1 1/4" thick at this point

Then I'd take a slice about a quarter inch thick and inlay it in the cherry, which was roughly 3/8" thick. The star was just a bit proud of the cherry once I glued it in.
The little squares were a bit more tricky. Here is what I started with. Charlie and Phil helped me get these to the correct thickness.

Then I glued each column vertically with the black veneer between each layer

Then keep gluing the veneer around the parts

Then slice quarter inch thick parts on the bandsaw and fit the inthe frame over a plywood backer. Once glued up they are all proud of the frame and that's where Donn's drum sander finished it up. Of course nothing was perfectly square so it took some time to get them all to fit well. I think I should have put the black veneer outline around the stars as well, but I was overruled by the design dept. (Miss Terry)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"i did the stars after watching a YouTube showing how he used a jig on the bandsaw to make the parts. I have a couple pics"

Mark, do you have a link to jig the jig and bandsaw video? I'm still curious and it may be an excuse for me to get a bandsaw too.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been looking for it and cannot find it.... and have forgotten who did it. If you are anywhere near Apex you are welcome to stop by and see it live. I still have some leftover or you can cut some parts here, borrow the jig.... whatever.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is one possible YT source, searched for "3d compass rose on bandsaw".

Reactions: drw

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
That is amazing!! Now I have to put getting my dad's bandsaw from his shop at my mom's to the top of the list.

OH! and that table is also an inspiration. Both of my girls (and their hubbys) are board game and puzzle people.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS