Game table project

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
When I was a kid we had this game table:

Probably older than me and in pretty rough shape. Long story short two of my sisters wanted it but dad gave it to the youngest. I told my other sister I would make one for her and here is my interpretation... thanks Donn, Charlie, and Phil for the help.

Still needs a drawer knob, Miss Terry will decide.....

The parcheesi board is my favorite- a few gaps with all the inlay stars but overall looks pretty good from a couple feet away...
White oak, minwax antique oak stain, maple, walnut, cherry, black veneer, and quite a few coats of waterlox..

Am thinking of making a few more and try some different species.... it was a fun project.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
That's a really nice project. I'd like to make something like that for my own, great inspiration!!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! Mark the game table turned out great! Your sister is going to be extremely happy with this. The finish really makes the various woods "pop"! Beautiful craftsmanship!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have just become "The Greatest Brother" a sister could ask for, Mark. Great job.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's really nice! Are both of the game boards done with inlaid veneer? From Matt Furjanic?

Eight-point stars...
Click here for a Video on How to Inlay an 8-point Star.

To give you a perspective on the size: the yellow background lines are 1" apart. $4.60 each
These are made from solid walnut and holly. They are approximately 2" wide from point to opposite point. These are made from solid wood, glued-up in a small block, then sliced off the block. This yields a thick and rigid inlay - much thicker and rigid - not flexible like veneer, making them easy to handle and inlay. Thickness varies from about 1/32 to 1/16"
To give you a perspective on the size: the yellow background lines are 1" apart. $4.60 each
8pointstar1.jpg

How are the game board "wings" held up for use? It's unclear to me.

Last edited:

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Jeff, I made all my own and inlayed it/fit it all together in thier frames a bit thick, then Donn ran them thru his drum sander to get them all even. Here is a couple of pics how the table wings are held

Just a small arm on hinges that fold out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS