Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Cherry bar stools with leather.

001-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

007-4.jpg

Build data, start with a parametric drawing, designing each part and assembly on the computer.

barstoolcomplete.jpg

Exploded view.

barstoolexploded.jpg

Engineering drawing for making the legs.

legsdrwg.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Willem, the bar stools look exceptional! That said, having seen some of your other projects the outstanding quality of these stools is not surprising. Thank you for sharing!

Donn

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Great looking stools! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Question about making the legs- Did you make each leg separately or did you glue up 4 pieces with paper between each, turn the assembly on a lathe and then break them apart?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thx everyone for the complements.

Answers to questions:

Not a commission, built for myself.
Legs were glued up and turned on the lathe, then cut apart on the bandsaw. The glued up blank is shown in the last drawing. I did not use paper, have not tried that before.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What a great looking bar setup!

Those stools look great with the simple clean lines and great looking cherry. :eusa_clap

Wayne

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Really nice stools Willem. They look right at home with all the other wonderful hand made furniture in your home.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thx everyone for the complements.

Answers to questions:

Not a commission, built for myself.
Legs were glued up and turned on the lathe, then cut apart on the bandsaw. The glued up blank is shown in the last drawing. I did not use paper, have not tried that before.

Sorry, I missed that.

I have done it with other parts and it works pretty well. When you split it apart the fibers of the paper just part. You still need to clean up the faces with a plane or a quick pass over the jointer.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Willem,

did you perform the mortising prior to the glue up? I would think it would be hard to jig the legs after the lathe work. BTW, very nice work.

mike

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem,

did you perform the mortising prior to the glue up? I would think it would be hard to jig the legs after the lathe work. BTW, very nice work.

mike

Here ya go:

Cut all the mortises

002-7.jpg

To line things up perfectly, put loose tenons in the mortises and put glue in three spots on the sticks, clamp together to glue up.

004-4.jpg

Turn on the lathe and leave squares on each end.

007-5.jpg

Screw a 3/4" plywood strip on the squares, cut apart on the glue lines with the bandsaw (2 cuts), send across the jointer, sand up to 220 and then saw off the square ends on the miter saw.

011-5.jpg

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Woodworking, a thinking man's sport! :eusa_clap

I wonder how that technique would work with cabriole legs. It would still require some serious leg shaping on the insides and where the curve meets the flat sides and the feet would need a bit of work too, but the at least the outside faces of the leg and ankle would be identical. It might be worth an experiment unless someone has already tried and written about it somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors