Fulfilling a Long-time Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have always wanted a good small tool chest and I finally have made the move to get one from the most coveted source for wood tool chests, Gerstner & Sons. They are running a great sale right now and I decided it was time to pull the trigger on a good model in kit form. Here is the sale announcement (click on it for a link to the site):

and here is the kit that I ordered:

WO2610-KIT_oR-700x700.jpg

It is the Journeyman Tool Chest in Quarter sawn White Oak and it was about 33% off their normal price. The only bad part is I need to wait until my kit comes off their production line. I'm looking forward to starting this project. I know I could make one from scratch, but it wouldn't be a Gerstner Tool Chest.

Rob Payne

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I once had the tool box pictured, about 50 years ago, when the first job I landed after my Navy enlistment, was as a tool and die maker apprentice. Filled it with expensive tools over a few years, then left the industry. Sold it all for a few cents on the dollar during leaner times. :BangHead:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too have drooled over their tool chests. I only wish that they would sell the hardware in a kit without the wood. But I guess the best deal is to get a kit with all of it and go that way. Good luck with it - I'm sure you will be very pleased with the result. Carry on.

Bruce, don't you hate when that happens. But leaner times require stern measures.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I wanted one since taking machine shop classes at community college in GA in the 80s.
Finally found a solid walnut model from the 50s at a great price and bought it.

You will enjoy owning a real Gerstner.

Last edited:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I've been working on the reverse engineering for that model Gerstner to build... so far I only have the end panels glued up (red oak).

I'd love to have a genuine Gerstner, and somewhere in the family resides my grandfather's - maybe one day it will find it's way to my shop.
I know you will enjoy building the kit Rob - lots of pictures please :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a very old genuine Gerstner that originally had a cloth covering
the covering got worn and severely damaged over time and I took the remnants of it off the box.
I bought new brass hardware for it but quit working on it several years ago.
I would like to sell it now, if you are interested pm me.
The price is less than a kit.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I plan to document my build with photos -- if you look at their website there is already a good video on the construction of this kit. I look forward to receiving it in the next week or so.

Rob Payne

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Great score Rob. And here i thought you were going to say Hank brought you a free tool from a yard sale.....:D

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Glad you are still into fulfilling the dream. Where are you going to put the penguin logo? :D It is going on the work-bench, isn't it?

Go

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mark,

You'll just have to imagine where it will fit -- maybe on the center drawer in place of the knob? :wwink:

PenguinBeerglass.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS