Fuji spray systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm thinking about purchasing a spray system. I've done some research but real world experience is what I'm looking for.

1. What is the (practical) difference in the Fuji Mini Mite vs. Fuji Semi-Pro...other than the $225 price difference?

2. Any other alternatives, ie. Earlex Spray Station that someone can offer insight into?

As always...Thanks in advance.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a mini-mite 3 stage and I like it a lot. It sprays great. It is noisy, however. The reviews I've seen say some of the more expensive Fuji systems are quieter. I believe there is now a 2 stage mini-mite that is cheaper too.

I can't really compare to other turbine systems because I haven't used any. I know it is a lot better than the Wagner conversion gun I used to use, however.

RainMaker

New User
Tony
I have the Fuji "Q3" and have sprayed enough lacquer with it to cover Halifax county... I couldn't be more pleased; it is fairly quite, not as loud as my shop vac, very portable and truly a professional piece of equipment. There have been days when this thing has practically run all day without an issue... easy to clean; I can't say enough good things about it. Get it; you won't be disappointed.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have the 4 stage turbine Mini Mite (8.5 PSI output) and have used it for about 10 years. I have sprayed shellac, lacquer, oil based paint, water based paint and pretty much all of General Finishes water based products. It has done a house full of furniture, all our outdoor furniture, and 2 complete kitchens. One in white paint and the other cherry in lacquer. My only complaint is the noise. I place it outside the man door of the garage and it isn't quite as loud. I believe the newer units are supposed to be quieter. I don't think you could do any better as mine as worked for the 10 years without a problem. I am scheduled to demonstrate it at the Finishing Workshop at Phil's shop later this month.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have an Earlex 5000 which has been fine for my introduction to spray finishing (couldn't justify the $$$ for a Fuji). What type of pieces will you consider using a spray finish (guitars, table tops, ornate chairs, etc)?

A comparison by "The Wood Whisperer" is interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehXSNzqlpE

These chairs were refinished several years ago with Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish and the Earlex.

P1050121.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have an Earlex 5000 which has been fine for my introduction to spray finishing (couldn't justify the $$$ for a Fuji). What type of pieces will you consider using a spray finish (guitars, table tops, ornate chairs, etc)?

A comparison by "The Wood Whisperer" is interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lehXSNzqlpE

These chairs were refinished several years ago with Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish and the Earlex.

P1050121.jpg

Stringed instruments mostly..

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Chris I too am interested in this as my Earlex 5500 has gone to the grave from over use. The 5500 is quite a bit stronger than the 5000 which will aloow you to spray GOOD quality latex paint thinned down. Wood magazine just had a breakdown in a recent issue which is very informative.

garymuto

New User
Gary
I have a Fuji Mini mite 3 stage system and it works great with the water based finishes that I use. Mostly General finishes. I use 10% extender since it is so dry in CO and I get excellent results. I think more stages give you more pressure to spray more viscous materials. If you are not spraying paint this will meet oyur needs. It wil likley spray an acryilic OK bu tI haven't tried it.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have a mini mite 3 and love it. I had never sprayed anything in the past and started off using it for spraying oil based paint and I dont think I could have screwed it up if I tried. I am not sure of the difference between the mini mite 3 and the pro except possibly noise. As for Earlex, while it may be a decent hobby sprayer, I think you need to decide how much youre going to use it. I dont believe it has the finite control of the Fuji guns. Also, I had an issue with my gun once and Fuji sent me a replacement part next day (a spring), no questions asked.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
No on the Earlex, not even a comparison.

I have the Fuji Pro 4-turbine setup (got it used on CL) and you'll probably need nothing more than it ... ever. Really an awesome setup and lays down a beautiful coat.

jdfh

New User
jack
Chris, I work at Klingspor's Woodworking shops, and have attended training with Fuji in Toronto. I have been using their guns spraying Lacquer for years. All of the new turbines are designated Q or platinum and they are indeed quieter and they run cooler. I do keep my turbine far away from my spraying area and use remote control to turn on and off as they can be noisy (quieter than a large compressor). HVLP is all about high volume, and the mini mite 3 has three fans to produce more volume with less heat. I would base my decision on the volume of material I would be spraying. If you are spraying small projects the Semi Pro 2 is a great system. If you are spraying larger projects like kitchen cabinets, or spraying thick material like paint the mini mite 3 makes sense. The 4 and 5 series are needed if you ever want to use a pressure pot for large jobs. Hope this helps.
Jack

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Chris, I work at Klingspor's Woodworking shops, and have attended training with Fuji in Toronto. I have been using their guns spraying Lacquer for years. All of the new turbines are designated Q or platinum and they are indeed quieter and they run cooler. I do keep my turbine far away from my spraying area and use remote control to turn on and off as they can be noisy (quieter than a large compressor). HVLP is all about high volume, and the mini mite 3 has three fans to produce more volume with less heat. I would base my decision on the volume of material I would be spraying. If you are spraying small projects the Semi Pro 2 is a great system. If you are spraying larger projects like kitchen cabinets, or spraying thick material like paint the mini mite 3 makes sense. The 4 and 5 series are needed if you ever want to use a pressure pot for large jobs. Hope this helps.
Jack

Thanks Jack... That shines a different light on it.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Just an old guy here set in his ways. ;)

Nothing beats a nice air compressor with either a reasonable quality conventional or HVLP gun.

I have sprayed outside in summer at 105F temperatures outside, in my shop in winter at 25F and while it is raining outside in the shop with fans pulling fresh air through to the extent that my floors get soaked with humidity condensation. The coats go on perfect in all conditions, no blushing, no orange peel and minimal clean up. Cleaning my gun takes the best part of 3 minutes, faster than cleaning a paint brush.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Just an old guy here set in his ways. ;)

Nothing beats a nice air compressor with either a reasonable quality conventional or HVLP gun.

I have sprayed outside in summer at 105F temperatures outside, in my shop in winter at 25F and while it is raining outside in the shop with fans pulling fresh air through to the extent that my floors get soaked with humidity condensation. The coats go on perfect in all conditions, no blushing, no orange peel and minimal clean up. Cleaning my gun takes the best part of 3 minutes, faster than cleaning a paint brush.

I thought about that...I already have 220 out at my shop. It's more of a size issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS