Fuji Mini Mite 4 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Good evening all,

Well after much paralysis by analysis, I went ahead and purchased my Mini Mite 4 a few weeks ago to finish a commissioned job. I bought it at Klingspor and picked up an additional 1.8mm tip based on another member's guidance. I had completed my last painted kitchen several years ago using a Binks 2000. So I was really jacked to try this one out.

The minute I had it home, I connected the hoses, ran some solvent through it, tacked my pieces, and got to the business of spraying. I loaded it with ML Campbell Magnamax and thinned about 10%. A few test pulls to check my pattern and absolutely blew through several large panels and a carcass like I never experienced before. Atomized perfectly on the first try. next, a little tint of their ML's wiping stain and another coat. Then a tint coat of Mohawk Burnt Umber and done. My air pressure was way too high as I had enough overspray to think I was using a Home Depot conventional gun.

So where's the detail you ask? I guess I can say it was that simple. Application speed excellent. But I did notice that delivery was so rapid, that the gun went empty fast. If you are tinting your coats, be careful of the volume left in the cup or you'll get some sputtering and uneven coat. A large volume, continuous spray probably needs a pressure pot.

Also, the whip hose was not in stock, but I was spraying in about 60F so no dry spray experience due to the turbine air heating up the material.

The portability of this unit is yet another plus. I stuck the turbine in a cabinet and hung the hose. I looked at the 30gallon compressor and wondered if I'd ever need it again. Between it and the Binks, I could have paid 2/3 of the cost of the Fuji. But I still enjoy turning the compressor up to 90lb and annoying my Newfoundland by giving her a blast of air and listening to her retaliatory bark.

I have several painted shelves and a Wicker set that will test the 1.8mm aircap. Several more commission jobs are lining up too so I'm very comfortable that I finally have the finishing sequence potentially under control.

I give this unit the highest recommendation based on my initial experience.

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about buying a Binks HVLP conversion gun and displacing my Turbine system. Maybe something like the Binks Mach 1 or a Trophy gun.

My Fuji does very well spraying water based finishes, but I learned the hard way that I have to thin solvent based which seems odd to me as what I read says I shouldn't have to thin it.

The 2000 gun I believe I have as well is a conventional gun. What made you go with a turbine instead of a conversion gun since you already have a compressor?

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about buying a Binks HVLP conversion gun and displacing my Turbine system. Maybe something like the Binks Mach 1 or a Trophy gun.

My Fuji does very well spraying water based finishes, but I learned the hard way that I have to thin solvent based which seems odd to me as what I read says I shouldn't have to thin it.

The 2000 gun I believe I have as well is a conventional gun. What made you go with a turbine instead of a conversion gun since you already have a compressor?

Hey Travis, I never really got the volume I wanted out of the Binks conventional. So never thought about giving the conversion gun a chance. Maybe because my first try at these types of guns was a DeVilbiss bought in the late 1990's. That piece of junk may as well have been an airbrush.

I worked weekend onsite finishing for many years and it was critical that we get pieces stripped and finished before customers opened for business on Monday. Volume is, and always has been, a game changer for me. As I mentioned, maybe the full blast air/volume/spray pattern from the Fuji defeated the purpose of overspray, but I'd give up that benefit for speed. Also the portability option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS