Friction Polish Seems to Dull

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I've used friction polish, 10% BLO & 90% 1# cut shellac, on some pepper mills. Initially they look great with a nice high gloss. The gloss changes as the polish is applied and rubbed and comes off the lathe exactly like I want it. However, two days later it is much less glossy. I put it back on the lathe and added another application with exactly the same results two days later.
Is this something that just requires a lot more coats? It looks so easy on youtube!! Should I add more coats or just switch to straight shellac and build coats to essentially french polish for a lasting high gloss shine. What am I missing here?
Thanks!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Friction polish requires heat. Hence the Friction. More Friction = more heat = better results. It isn't a strong long lasting finish. The oils from your skin will break it down. I use a CA finish. Much harder and lasts longer. CA isn't as easy but lasts longer. You will need micromesh to finish with CA.
After a few coats sand through the grits and don't skip any. Micromesh I think goes to 12000 grit.
Google is your friend.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Consider a product like Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus or their Friction polish. I use Pens Plus for most small turnings, pens/mills/stopper/etc, that are wood but you cannot use it on surfaces in regular contact with food as it isn't a food safe finish. Being that you are just polishing the outside of the mill that should be fine. Pens Plus, other the other finishes, gives a very durable and lasting finish that looks natural. I typically do about 3 coats. I use the company's walnut oil, it is treated to remove allergens, for the ends that may be in contact with food products. Lost of solid how to videos on their website as well.

I personally do not use CA as a finish for most things and only on pens when working with some resins when I have too. The fumes bother me and I do not like the plastic look you end up with, just presonal preference. You would need a LOT of CA glue to finish a grinder so it isn't something I would recommend for this project.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS