French Polishing workshop

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is to announce the French Polishing Workshop the first of the advanced workshops.
We will cover all of the steps of this process from materials, material preparation and application.
The workshop will take six participants and depending on interest we may offer it again. If you are on the wait list for the introduction to finishing workshop you’re still on that list and it will be offered again later this year. This is a separate workshop and hence the new sign up sheet.
it will be held on March 18th starting at 10am until probably around 3 or 4 pm. Place will be Bill Clemmons shop in the greater Metro of Liberty NC.
we will order pizza for lunch, or if you like you can bring your own.
This is a workshop I have really looked forward to doing, and I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Signed up
UsernameGiven Name
JLimeyJeff
PartmanDanny
CreasmanJim
Roger45Roger
EricSEric
JReddingJohn

Wait-list
UsernameGiven Name
HMerkleHank
Charlie BuchananCharlie
Michael MathewsMichael

Last edited by a moderator:

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you guys for your interest and I look forward to this work shop. There is one more slot open for this work shop. We would be glad to have you.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
It is just that umpteen dozen coats to get that perfect gloss. I saw it demonstrated about uh, 40 years ago. gasp. Not hard, tedious. Fine if doing it on a violin, but to do a chest of drawers... Of course, required for restoration work as it is too messy just shooting someone who puts poly on some fine 19th century English piece.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ve polished a large table with the individual who showed me how to do this process. I had success the first time out. I just taught this process to six individuals with success the first time out. I’ve been doing this process for several years and I’m still a student of it. With that said, watching a demonstration four decades ago makes for a preconceived thought and is not an informed decision.
Shellac and the processes to achieve a beautiful finish are under rated. If you look at a French polished finish compared to a Poly finish, the Poly finish looks like plastic and the shellac finish has depth and life. When finishing with poly in the shop, the shop is pretty much shut down until the finish is dry. When finishing with shellac the finish is dry in less than 20 minutes. Which doesn’t put a shop totally out of commission. Sure a poly finish is more durable against abrasion, water and alcohol. But if it is damaged it takes more skill and greater resources to repair like stripping the piece. Where as shellac is easier to repair, you can work smaller areas without having to strip the entire piece.
With all that said, I would not use a shellac or French polish on a kitchen/dining room table top. I may build up the top (I have done this) with French polish but I would use an oil varnish or a poly for the top coat. I would do this only for the durability of that finish for the top of the table only. I have a few shop pieces that I French polished, my plane cabinet, a large shelf, and a couple small storage pieces. I French polished a case that I carry on the job everyday. Over all they look great and some better than others. The plane cabinet is over 10 years old and looks better everyday. A simple pine piece with amber shellac polish.
You see Scott I work with a lot of different finishes all the time. I spend a fair amount of time reading current technical data, I also spend a lot of time reading historical data on finishing. I’m still learning and it’s enjoyable to see the processes in the decorative arts of human furnishings. Its evolution is well over 3000 years old. More current documents have shown that French Polishing a process began its storied history in the early 19th century.
I for one have noticed that there is (for a number of reasons) a lack of clear honest information on finishing. This leads to a lot of disinformation on the subject and is an area that hobbyist woodworkers do not put enough practice into, or have apprehension about. So if you would like to learn more about French Polishing and not just watch a demo sign up for the workshop wait list. That is where the real leaning starts. I will be scheduling another workshop in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Personally, glad this workshop is happening and proud the forum has the skills and will to teach others this historic method. Perhaps, as an alternative to casting dispersions, we could all contribute with an offer to hold workshops based on personal and practiced expertise.

Moderators, please edit/delete if this is out of order.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I’m signed up. Look forward to next workshop. I’m a shellac fan but also use poly on tabletops that are eating or drinking surfaces. Thanks for offering the training.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There's an old saying at NCWW: "No pictures, it didn't happen." So just to prove it happened, here are a few pics. ;) And if you'd like to see more of this motley crew, there are more in this album. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 82

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors