Free wood in N Durham (trees)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidD

New User
David
On my way home today I noticed that there are several large oak trees that are being removed in north Durham. They are on Hillandale Rd just north of I-85. You can't miss `em. It looks like they may be getting ready to widen the road.

I hate to see these big, beautitful trees get cut down, but there is plenty of good wood to be had.

The picture below is one of the largest trees being cut. I don't know what kind of oak it is, but the leaves are relatively small, but long and narrow. I measured the circumference to be almost 12 ft at 2 ft off the ground (Scott S., maybe they would let you have the whole trunk).:thumbs_up Looks like they might drop the rest of the tree tomorrow.

I stopped by and got a load of firewood. Maybe some of you turners could use some of it.

0804101750a.jpg

View image in gallery

Sorry for the late posting, it took me a while to figure how to get the image off my phone and even longer to figure how to get it onto the site. Just trying to pass this along.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi David, thanks for the heads up. I'd love to have that big red oak log, but I'm swamped at the farm getting the dust collection finished so that I can fulfill a large order.

If the logs are still available in 2 weeks, I'll be all over them!

Take care.

Scott

DavidD

New User
David
After looking at some tree identification sites, it looks like these may be laurel oaks - apparently not good woodworking (so the website said), but great fuel.
Guess that I'll try to get a couple more loads for firewood. (there's still plenty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS