Free turning wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
Just felled a tree in the yard last week that was dying. I don't know what kind of wood it is, but it's very neat and great for turning (I've turned a few bowls already and they are going to look great finished).

Let me know if you'd like some pieces to turn. Need to get them this week because I need to get the tree cleaned up and out of the way.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Where are you in Durham? How large are the pieces?
I may be interested in obtaining a few if they are on the Raleigh side.

Henry

eyekode

New User
Salem
Brad, it was very nice to meet you today. And thanks for the logs! Not sure what that wood is but I think it will make beautiful bowls!

Salem

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thanks for the wood, Brad. I just turned it last nite and it's very interesting. Hopefully someone will be able to identify what kind of tree has a bright burgundy center.

eyekode

New User
Salem
When I cut into mine it behaved like hickory. And the center looks like hickory. But it had almost no smell, which is nothing like the hickory I have turned in the past :). The white wood looked sorta like ash to me.
Salem

William Roscoe

New User
William
The grain was too tight to be ash and the light colored part looks a lot like gum. I'll try to take a picture if I can.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
The bark and leaves do not remind me of either gum or hickory. I've never seen a finished piece of gum, so I can't compare...and all the hickory I've seen had a brown center, not burgundy.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Brad,
I'll bet that burgundy is going to turn brown soon. I have a small bowl made from gum I'll take a picture of and I'll take a picture of the bark and if all the planets are aligned, I'll post them:confused:.

sawduster

New User
Robert
how close are you to Cornwalis Rd between T W and alston ? I work there in durham. are you home during the day ?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Brad I am starting think it is some type of gum. I found some known gum in my stash and the bark and the color roughly match. Not sure about the end grain as I didn't cut into the old log.

By the way I cut up the logs you gave me and sealed the ends. I have more then I need. I you are located near apex and want a couple bowl blanks let me know!

Salem

jdulaney

New User
John
Live4Brew: Have you any that is somewhere around, say, 20" long and free of knots? I'd like to try to turn an instrument or two.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
Brad I am starting think it is some type of gum. I found some known gum in my stash and the bark and the color roughly match. Not sure about the end grain as I didn't cut into the old log.

By the way I cut up the logs you gave me and sealed the ends. I have more then I need. I you are located near apex and want a couple bowl blanks let me know!

Salem

You may be on to something... Some of it reminds me of Blackgum,Nyssa sylvatica

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'd be interested if you have some left. I work in RTP off TW Alexander and live in Holly Springs.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'm in LA currently but will be back Friday. Can we meet up then? Send me a PM for the address so I can get an idea of distance and time. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS