Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have about a dozen T8 light fixtures

There are more than shown in these photos. Ready for pickup in Raleigh

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Awhile back you described how to rewire the T8 lights for LEDs after removing the ballasts and it was very simple to do with my 4 foot fixtures.

How long are these fixtures that you have? There are 8 ft LED bulbs available.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
the ballast are probably universal. They were running on 277 but should work on 120 to 277. However some makes of universal ballast will not shift after running on 277, others work just fine. Do you feel lucky?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why not convert to LEDS entirely and not buy new ballasts that work on single phase 120 volts? There are LED conversion kits that are directly wired to 120 v with no ballasts.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Phil
I believe that I could use these as 'direct' replacements for my ancient T12 8' fixtures. I'd rewire to convert to LEDs entirely, and finally have decent lighting not affected by the cold (flicker, slow or non-starting bulbs in cold).

If you still have 3-5 left, I would certainly appreciate it.
What are the pick up dates/times/places? I can work within your confines.

Thanks
Henry

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil
I believe that I could use these as 'direct' replacements for my ancient T12 8' fixtures. I'd rewire to convert to LEDs entirely, and finally have decent lighting not affected by the cold (flicker, slow or non-starting bulbs in cold).

If you still have 3-5 left, I would certainly appreciate it.
What are the pick up dates/times/places? I can work within your confines.

Thanks
Henry
I have at least twice that many. Pick up any morning including sat at 7:00 Centennial Campus

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have about a dozen T8 light fixtures
View attachment 188990
View attachment 188991

There are more than shown in these photos. Ready for pickup in Raleigh

Hey Phil - THANK YOU for these fixtures, I have put them to good use.

I don't have a pic that I can find, but I did get 4 of these repurposed fixtures installed in my shop and one in my basement (a few months ago already). I had 25 year old+ 8' fluorescent T25(?) fixtures (8' bulbs are not convenient or easy to find); besides these were seriously outdated. Two of 4 ballasts were dead and even more bulbs were. It was getting seriously DARK in my shop (with the lights on), such that I wore a head lamp all the time just to see.

I rewired the fixtures to remove ballasts (for direct-wire LED bulbs), and then mounted on ceiling, and tada! LIGHT. It's GREAT to work by real light again. The mounting system on these (they were upward pointing as I recall, mounted on a threaded pin on each end) did not work for me, so I simply drilled a hole through the case where the ceiling joists were and screwed directly in. I mounted these as downward facing.

The unanticipated benefit to LED conversion was that I lost all the hummmm of these 4 ballasts. It is so quiet when I enter the shop. I did not realize how much noise these old ballasts made until they were gone.

The one I put in my basement is in the 'mud-room' just inside the back door. This room now doubles as my mahogany storage room ( ;) :):D). Anyways for this fixture I installed a motion sensor switch, and so the lights come up when a door opens - hands free!. That's great because I am often carrying stuff into or out of the house through this door (to and from separate shop).

I expect I am good with shop lights here until we move out of this place - hopefully another 25 years or so...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS