Free cherry pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I've found a large dead cherry in the woods which I have started to cut up for firewood. The limbs and top had rotted away before the tree fell over. I was surprised when I cut into the trunk log and found it's about 90% solid. It is not a straight log - lots of slight crooks in it.
I have that wood disease which makes it hard for me to put good, beautiful wood in a fire. I've already set aside 3 pieces of split wood because they looked like there was a spoon hiding in them knowing I might never get around to doing any carving. Looks like there is some potential for burls or at least nice chunks for bowls. Before I finish cutting it up for firewood I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to come see if they can use some chunks (you can't have the whole tree!) I have a chain saw and can cut what you want. It's free. I'm about 35 miles east of Raleigh.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wish I could travel that far...

Hope somebody can use it.

Standing dead trees make good dry turning stock.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I would live a 3' piece if you have anything that size. I am going to Middlesex tomorrow morning first thing and can connect with you if that works.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Rob if you need to get rid of a few pieces I can pick it up and keep it here for anyone that wants it that's further west....will that help out anyone?:icon_thum

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I could use some also. I'd like to try carving some spoons. I'm in Chapel Hill, but will be at Klingspor in Raleigh on the Second Sunday of Feb.
Michael

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
This tree is about 18 - 20" diameter at the trunk. I'm going to try to cut maybe four 6' logs from which to mill lumber. It's the short crooked pieces where the log "twists" that I think would make nice bowls instead of firewood. Originally I planned to cut the whole thing up for firewood.

Scott, I don't know if there will be any 3' pieces but if there are I will let you know.

Michael, I have a few pieces of cherry, pecan, myrtle and probably something else that I've set aside thinking one day I might make some spoons. You can have them but you'll have to come pick them up. I'm about an hour and twenty minutes from CH

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
How About If I Come by On Sunday February 9 Around 1Pm. Then I Can Go To Klingspor For The Carving Meeting.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors